POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV domain name abuse? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  POV domain name abuse? (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Ken
Subject: Re: POV domain name abuse?
Date: 19 Jan 2000 16:14:51
Message: <38862831.2BA84CDD@pacbell.net>
Phil Clute wrote:

> > Per POV-Legal
> >
> > "POV-Ray", "Persistence of Vision", "POV-Team" and "POV-Help" are
> > trademarks of the POV-Team.
>
> Is it an actual "trademark" or just a copyright? I see the copyright on
> the "About" screen from the Help menu but no T. As far as I know they
> are not really the same thing.

I copied and pasted that straight out of the POV-Legal document. If it
is in error it was done so by the person who composed that document.

From: Ralf Muschall
Date: 19 Jan 2000 17:30:26
Message: <38863A1B.36AD8355@t-online.de>
Marc Schimmler wrote:

> If you have a trademark, you can enforce it when somebody uses it as a
> name for an organization or product. Let the POV-team (tm) decide about
> it.

Or the other way around: When the infringer is much stronger
than you, he even can legally stop you from using your own name.

At e.g. www.gravenreuth.de there are some (german) lawsuit results
which essentially say "Foo was clearly earlier, bit BigFoo
is much greater and more publicly known, so BigFoo shall win".

I don't know the situation in other countries.

Ralf

Post a reply to this message