POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV domain name abuse? : Re: POV domain name abuse? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:21:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: POV domain name abuse?
From: Jerry
Date: 19 Jan 2000 18:31:52
Message: <jerry-9EA620.15315119012000@news.povray.org>
In article <388615F8.AF33F247@tiac.net>, Phil Clute <pcl### [at] tiacnet>
wrote:
>> "POV-Ray", "Persistence of Vision", "POV-Team" and "POV-Help" are
>> trademarks of the POV-Team.
>
>Is it an actual "trademark" or just a copyright? I see the copyright on
>the "About" screen from the Help menu but no T. As far as I know they
>are not really the same thing.

No, and names/terms can't be copyrighted. For the above terms to be
protected, they would have to be claimed as trademarks.

"POV-Ray" would be a trademark in just about all circumstances, as it is
mostly nonsense; any use of the term "POV-Ray" is likely to bring about
confusion.

"Persistence of Vision" is likely to be a trademark only within the
raytracing realm; the term is a common one in at least one other field,
and also plays on the title of at least one art piece. It is very likely
that a painting titled "Persistence of Vision" would not be considered a
violation of POV's trademark.

IANAL

Jerry