POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Outdoor Lighting Tutorial? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 13:21:07 EDT (-0400)
  Outdoor Lighting Tutorial? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From:  jivvy
Subject: Outdoor Lighting Tutorial?
Date: 8 Jan 2000 12:23:04
Message: <38777278@news.povray.org>
I rarely do outdoor scenes (in fact I'm working on my first "realism"
outdoor piece) and while I am nowhere near finished, I can tell that I am
already at loss for how I am going to light the thing.  Are there any
lighting tutorials out there that talk more about placement/effects than the
differences between the various lighting types?

TIA,

Claire

Post a reply to this message

I don't know of any offical tutorial, but short of radiosity for correct
lighting I would have one main light, then duplicate lights in a ring around
the origin (or look_at point), but each of the secondary lights should be low,
less than 0.5 in color value and have the shadowless keyword should be
included.

--

Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom

Post a reply to this message

> I don't know of any offical tutorial, but short of radiosity for correct
> lighting I would have one main light, then duplicate lights in a ring
around
> the origin (or look_at point), but each of the secondary lights should be
low,
> less than 0.5 in color value and have the shadowless keyword should be
> included.

Just tried this and it's perfect -- puts enough light in the black shadows
to give some depth without killing the shadows.

Thanks!

Claire

Post a reply to this message

> > I don't know of any offical tutorial, but short of radiosity for
> correct
> > lighting I would have one main light, then duplicate lights in a
> ring
> around
> > the origin (or look_at point), but each of the secondary lights
> should be
> low,
> > less than 0.5 in color value and have the shadowless keyword should
> be
> > included.
>
> Just tried this and it's perfect -- puts enough light in the black
> shadows
> to give some depth without killing the shadows.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Claire

A trick I read somewhere that isn't really realistic but works quite
nice is to put some extra blue in the light opposite to the main light
source. It's supposedly what Hollywood does (whatever that is...).

Remco

Post a reply to this message

> A trick I read somewhere that isn't really realistic but works quite
> nice is to put some extra blue in the light opposite to the main light
> source. It's supposedly what Hollywood does (whatever that is...).

Hmm, to exaggerate the diffuse lighting from the sky? This could
probably also be done using special radiosity settings. It would give a
less realistic image, but of course artistic license would apply.

--
Chris Huff
e-mail: chr### [at] yahoocom

Post a reply to this message

> A trick I read somewhere that isn't really realistic but works quite
> nice is to put some extra blue in the light opposite to the main light
> source. It's supposedly what Hollywood does (whatever that is...).

Yes, I remember reading about the making of Riven that is just
about precisely what Cyan did for their outdoor renderings in
Riven: one main light for the sun, then one or two low intensity
blue lights to soften the shadows with simulated atmospheric
diffusion. Seemed to produce very believable sunlit scenes.

Charles

Post a reply to this message

> > A trick I read somewhere that isn't really realistic but works quite
> > nice is to put some extra blue in the light opposite to the main
> light
> > source. It's supposedly what Hollywood does (whatever that is...).
>
> Yes, I remember reading about the making of Riven that is just
> about precisely what Cyan did for their outdoor renderings in
> Riven: one main light for the sun, then one or two low intensity
> blue lights to soften the shadows with simulated atmospheric
> diffusion. Seemed to produce very believable sunlit scenes.
>
> Charles

On top of that you can make the sunlight slightly yellow or orange to
create an extra effect.
For my work I make a lot of scenes which are on the whole very
unrealistic but the lighting somehow adds a special atmosphere (or so I
like to believe).
I haven't tried radiosity for this, I'm afraid it will only increase the
render time to even worse proportions.

Remco