POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Outdoor Lighting Tutorial? : Re: Outdoor Lighting Tutorial? Server Time
10 Aug 2024 11:18:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Outdoor Lighting Tutorial?
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 13 Jan 2000 21:06:26
Message: <387E8414.ED176734@xs4all.nl>
Charles Fusner wrote:

> Remco de Korte wrote:
> > A trick I read somewhere that isn't really realistic but works quite
> > nice is to put some extra blue in the light opposite to the main
> light
> > source. It's supposedly what Hollywood does (whatever that is...).
>
> Yes, I remember reading about the making of Riven that is just
> about precisely what Cyan did for their outdoor renderings in
> Riven: one main light for the sun, then one or two low intensity
> blue lights to soften the shadows with simulated atmospheric
> diffusion. Seemed to produce very believable sunlit scenes.
>
> Charles

On top of that you can make the sunlight slightly yellow or orange to
create an extra effect.
For my work I make a lot of scenes which are on the whole very
unrealistic but the lighting somehow adds a special atmosphere (or so I
like to believe).
I haven't tried radiosity for this, I'm afraid it will only increase the
render time to even worse proportions.

Remco