POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray Server Time
10 Aug 2024 23:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  what will be in the next major version of povray (Message 21 to 30 of 58)
From: Claude Mench
Subject: Re: what will be in the next major version of povray
Date: 8 Dec 1999 03:24:58
Message: <384e15da@news.povray.org>
>Remember when comparing POV to other products that POV is only the
rendering
>engine.  Twister, for example, is a combination of Softimage's Mental Ray
>rendering engine with their modeling environment.  To compare apples to
>apples, POV should be compared to Mental Ray (in which case, MR still has
>featuers that have not yet been implemented in POV).

    Twister is not the modelling part of sumatra if I understand weel
all my readings. twister is only the rendering user interface, this
interface is there to allows an interactive rendering. It is a modeller
in the sense that you can move, rotate, scale objects, but not really
model individual complex objects. When you place your objects rendering
the global scene is quite helpfull. It is really at this moment you need
rendering. I think that this is the natural way that a successfull
renderer should go nowadays.

    Thank's for your answer, I read your papers about the photon mapping
in UVPov and also Jensens original one. I have one question, You are use
your own sampling method for light ray with your spiral sampling and said
that Jensens methods gives noisy results. But the images i've seen from
Jensen are not noisy. Does your sampling method give an performance hurt
compared to Jensen's ?

    I'm really interested to learn or be aware of the techniques that
could make a production renderer more and more realistic. For now production
renderers where everytime scanline. Twister goes further and introduce
global illumination and generalized ray tracing in a production
renderer. It uses photon maps and a very good progressive raytracing
rendering. My interrest for photon map is that they seem to be the
solution for an acceptable global illumination technique in term of
performance hurt.

Post a reply to this message