POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: what will be in the next major version of povray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:16:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what will be in the next major version of povray
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 8 Dec 1999 04:02:34
Message: <384e1eaa@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
: If ANSI-standard C was the only rule by which things got
: added, there would be no preview display, or Mac GUI, or Windows
: GUI, or DOS help screens, or x-povray, or...  you get the idea.

  I know, but I think that that extra stuff doesn't need very much
modifications to the povray core code.
  However, I think that an OpenGL preview mode would require a lot of changes
in the povray core.

: OpenGL seems fairly widespread, so I would say that if an OGL
: preview deserves to be shot down it deserves to be shot down on its
: own merits as a feature rather than because OGL isn't available on
: the DOS or Amiga platforms.  That's just my opinion, though; I may
: be in the minority.

  OpenGL is not available in this SparcStation 5 either...

: FWIW, I think tesselation of primitives would be a fairly useful
: feature, too, and not just for OGL preview.  I still think the OGL
: preview wouldn't be much faster than current preview methods, given
: the parse time, but I see lots of other uses for being able to make
: triangles out of primitives.

  You are right of course. If someone can do it easyly, then that's great.
  The only problem I see is that you can't tesselate every primitive in
povray (mainly the infinite ones, like planes and polys).

  Btw: Are there _any_ renderer that can do _real_ non-uniform transformations
to objects?
  Changing the location of triangle vertices is not real non-uniform
transformation.