POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : what will be in the next major version of povray : Re: what will be in the next major version of povray Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:20:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: what will be in the next major version of povray
From: Nieminen Juha
Date: 8 Dec 1999 09:22:48
Message: <384e69b8@news.povray.org>
Ron Parker <ron### [at] povrayorg> wrote:
: There is a paper out there somewhere - can't remember whether I saw it on the
: web or in an old ACM publication - that talks about methods for tracing curved
: rays.  It's still not perfect, because it essentially traces the curves as a
: series of line segments, but at least it doesn't require tesselation.

  Perhaps this kind of non-uniform transformation could be possible with
povray?

  Btw, why is not possible to scale an object so that the scale changes
linearly along an axis? I don't remember the name if this transformation,
but it's the one that can convert a cylinder into a cone.
  I think that it's a linear transformation. I line transformed this way
is still a line after the transformation. Should be perfectly possible
in povray. If this is so, wouldn't it be a good idea to add this kind
of transformation?