POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fess up: all your render time reduction secrets Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Fess up: all your render time reduction secrets (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Fess up: all your render time reduction secrets
Date: 27 Sep 1999 08:47:57
Message: <37EF66E9.CC1E202@my-dejanews.com>
John vanSickle wrote in an earlier posting:
>As things are,
>the user who is memory-conscious can create a tree that fits into one
>mesh, and make a bunch of copies of it, rotating and scaling them to
>make them look different.

I think that there are a lot of tricks for memory management that are
not in the docs.
For example, I learned the hard way that:

1) A flat box of a billion units in X and Z renders faster than a plane;

2) A mesh of triangles renders faster than the "equivalent" bicubic
patch;
3) JvS's trick above here, which I'm not sure I fully understand yet.

Someone ought to compile all of these tricks of the trade so that
thousands of users don't have to waste time relearning the rolling of
the wheel....

Post a reply to this message

> John vanSickle wrote in an earlier posting:
> >As things are,
> >the user who is memory-conscious can create a tree that fits into one
> >mesh, and make a bunch of copies of it, rotating and scaling them to
> >make them look different.
>
> I think that there are a lot of tricks for memory management that are
> not in the docs.
> For example, I learned the hard way that:
>
> 1) A flat box of a billion units in X and Z renders faster than a plane;
>
> 2) A mesh of triangles renders faster than the "equivalent" bicubic
> patch;
> 3) JvS's trick above here, which I'm not sure I fully understand yet.
>
> Someone ought to compile all of these tricks of the trade so that
> thousands of users don't have to waste time relearning the rolling of
> the wheel....

For more speed tricks see:
http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html#renderingspeed

--
Ken Tyler
1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

You don't know how frustrating it is that for every difficult question we can
come up with, the polite answer comes a minute later: RTFFAQS.

Could it be that your FAQs are literally F.A.Q.s?  How rare!

Ken wrote:

> "Greg M. Johnson" wrote:
>
> > I think that there are a lot of tricks for memory management that are
> > not in the docs.
> > Someone ought to compile all of these tricks of the trade so that
> > thousands of users don't have to waste time relearning the rolling of
> > the wheel....
>
> For more speed tricks see:
> http://www.students.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html#renderingspeed
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
> 1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:
> http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html

Post a reply to this message

Greg M. Johnson <gre### [at] my-dejanewscom> wrote:
: 2) A mesh of triangles renders faster than the "equivalent" bicubic
: patch;

  I think that it depends on the patch type. AFAIK patch type 1 is
converted to an ordinary triangle mesh, so it would depend only in the
amount of triangles generated.