POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Fess up: all your render time reduction secrets : Fess up: all your render time reduction secrets Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:26:17 EDT (-0400)
  Fess up: all your render time reduction secrets
From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 27 Sep 1999 08:47:57
Message: <37EF66E9.CC1E202@my-dejanews.com>
John vanSickle wrote in an earlier posting:
>As things are,
>the user who is memory-conscious can create a tree that fits into one
>mesh, and make a bunch of copies of it, rotating and scaling them to
>make them look different.

I think that there are a lot of tricks for memory management that are
not in the docs.
For example, I learned the hard way that:

1) A flat box of a billion units in X and Z renders faster than a plane;

2) A mesh of triangles renders faster than the "equivalent" bicubic
patch;
3) JvS's trick above here, which I'm not sure I fully understand yet.

Someone ought to compile all of these tricks of the trade so that
thousands of users don't have to waste time relearning the rolling of
the wheel....