POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov User Database Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:14:49 EDT (-0400)
  Pov User Database (Message 11 to 20 of 24)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 4 Messages >>>
From: Lance Birch
Subject: Re: English data protection law
Date: 10 Sep 1999 06:12:13
Message: <37d8d97d@news.povray.org>
How about this... it's the easy way to settle this whole thing.

"By submitting your profile to <whoever> you hereby allow this profile to be
displayed world-wide via the Internet (or something like that) for an
undetermined period of time"

That way it's only if the person wants to... after all, someone filling this
thing out is only filling it out because they want others to see it right?

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
For a totally different experience, visit my Chroma Key Website:
Colorblind - http://listen.to/colorblind
Thorsten Froehlich wrote in message <37d85b16@news.povray.org>...
>In article <37D8473F.882D28D2@Totalise.co.uk> , GRedway
><GRe### [at] Totalisecouk>  wrote:
>
>> As far as I can gather the privacy laws only apply to the country in
>> which the website is held and any person who uses this site assumes the
>> law of the nation applying them.
>> The Data Protection Act, 1989 (England) as it stands requires the
>> knowledge of the person whose data is being held on computer, this could
>> be included in a small disclamier, as long as the user knows his/her
>> data is being held on compueter it is not a problem (this could be
>> included in a disclaimer - the user hitting the 'submit' button
>> acknowledges the disclamier and agrees to it.
>>
>>  Graham Redway
>
>I am referring to "Directive 95/46/EC of the European Parliament". For
>example available at
><http://www2.echo.lu/legal/en/dataprot/directiv/directiv.html>. It is
>binding for all member states of the European Union. Some states have even
>stricter laws. I am not a lawyer and cannot explain the exact effects of
>this directive regarding the idea to setup a public database.  If the
>database would break the laws of a state, I do not know the person owning
>the database can be prosecuted one he/she enters that state!?
>

>    Thorsten

>Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
>e-mail: tho### [at] trfde
>
>Visit POV-Ray on the web: http://mac.povray.org