POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov User Database : Re: Pov User Database Server Time
11 Aug 2024 09:22:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pov User Database
From: Ken
Date: 12 Sep 1999 04:48:48
Message: <37DB6886.98E5207B@pacbell.net>
"John M. Dlugosz" wrote:

> Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> > I have considered adding a Pov users galleries section to my collection
> > but have resisted it simply because the sheer number of them that exist
> > would be a maintence nightmare. People change websites and providers
> > like clothing and it is hard to keep a "broken link" free page up to date.
> > My current data base is already a serious challenge to keep up with and
> > adding that section would seriously add to that burden. I may change my
> > mind in the future but don't expect it anytime soon.
>
> Can't you have a Perl script periodically "hit" the link, and verify that
> it's still OK?  The page can show current status, and eventually the dud can
> be dropped.
>
> --John

There are free programs available that will do this for you. For example
http://www.snafu.de/~tilman/xenulink.html is fairly well automated. The
only problem I have with these is that they can be easily fooled into
thinking that a site or resource is gone when in reality there may only be
a temporary problem with the site that causes it to return an error to
the link checker. I have spent considerable time locating some of the
more obscure link sites and I don't trust a program to decide for me
if it should be removed from the collection. Then again as I am now
approaching 1000 links and will be adding many more in then near
future my stubborness in this regard may have to be re-evaluated for
sake of convenience.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 850+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at: