POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Pov User Database Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:15:20 EDT (-0400)
  Pov User Database (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: Rune S  Johansen
Subject: Pov User Database
Date: 9 Sep 1999 16:25:19
Message: <37d817af@news.povray.org>
Would it be useful with a public database on the web containing information
about the users of POV-Ray?

I thought of a website for all users of POV-Ray where one could registrate
and submit as little or as much information one want to about oneself, one's
relationship with POV-Ray, about one's possible website and so on.

Then anybody could search in the database and find information on other
pov-users.

The information the user might submit could be:

o Names, nickname, e-mail.

o Website address, description of website
  (especially POV-Ray related stuff).

o Personal information: Age, gender, address
  (maybe not street but country, (state), and town...),
  hobbies, interests, other...

o Relation to POV-Ray: For how many years, what one
  uses it for, to which "camp(s)" one belongs
  (photorealism, artist, math...), other...

Keep in mind that one may submit as much or as little information as one
wants to.

The advantages of having such a database:

o If one have seen a name for example in a newsgroup one
  could search for the name in the database and find
  background information on the person. I think that it
  would strengthen the POV-Ray community. When users
  know more about each other there will be less confusion,
  greater joy, and it may cause more people to post more
  to the group.

o One could search for other people that have things in
  common with oneself (hobbies and so on...) and then
  visit their websites and/or contact them.

o The database would also work as a kind of database of
  links to pov-users own websites. I know we have already
  big pov-links-collections but they tempt to lack in
  links to personal webpages that doesn't contain many
  useful resources but can be very interesting anyway.

o If really many people registrate to the database people
  could search for other pov-users that live near
  themselves and it might encourage pov-users to meet each
  other in "real life".

So what do you think of this idea?
Is it a good idea and is it possible to make at all?

There's probably a lot of advantages, disadvantages, and problems that I'm
not aware of so please come with your thoughts.

If it sounds like an good idea and is possible to make then I hope some
people will be willing to work on the project.
I myself know HTML and a little css and would like to contribute what I can.
Oh, and I can also make neat pov web graphics! ;-)

Greetings,

Rune S. Johansen

---
Visit The RSJ Website at http://rsj.mobilixnet.dk
for 3D images including still lives, dragons,
mathematical shapes, and more. Stereograms,
tutorials, The POV Desktop Theme, hundreds of
raytracing jokes, miscellaneous other things,
and a lot of fun!

Post a reply to this message