POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rgb-->grayscale Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:16:13 EDT (-0400)
  rgb-->grayscale (Message 2 to 11 of 11)
From: TonyB
Subject: Re: rgb-->grayscale
Date: 28 Sep 1999 23:04:30
Message: <37f181be@news.povray.org>
I'm also looking for a thread that I can't find: it was one where somebody
posted formulas for a conical pattern plus some other stuff.

Post a reply to this message

From: Larry Fontaine
Date: 28 Sep 1999 23:09:48
Message: <37F1811A.B860B4BE@isd.net>
Would that be using different "weights" for different colors, i.e., a picture using
only solid rgb would have different gray levels? A very easy way to do it, of
course, would just be to average the rgb values, but somehow I don't think that's
what you want. Then there's hue-chroma-value (referred to as
hue-brightness-saturation in most programs), which would make more sense. I don't
know those, but they should be easy formulas to find.

Remco de Korte wrote:

> There was a discussion in one of the groups on this server not long ago about
> converting rgb to grayscale values. I've been looking for that thread but can't
> find it. Some formulas were mentioned and I'd like to try those again.
>
> Houdoe!
>
> Remco

Post a reply to this message

> There was a discussion in one of the groups on this server not long ago about
> converting rgb to grayscale values. I've been looking for that thread but can't
> find it. Some formulas were mentioned and I'd like to try those again.
>
> Houdoe!
>
> Remco

1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

> > There was a discussion in one of the groups on this server not long ago about
> > converting rgb to grayscale values. I've been looking for that thread but can't
> > find it. Some formulas were mentioned and I'd like to try those again.
> >
> > Houdoe!
> >
> > Remco
>
>     Subject: Rendering in B&W?
>        Date: Thu, 11 Mar 1999 20:54:19 -0500
>        From: Kyle <joe### [at] geocitiescom>
>  Newsgroups: povray.general

Also:

On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:14:50 +0200, Remco de Korte
<rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:

>There was a discussion in one of the groups on this server not long ago about
>converting rgb to grayscale values. I've been looking for that thread but can't
>find it. Some formulas were mentioned and I'd like to try those again.
>
>Houdoe!
>
>Remco

A rough formula is:

Gray = 0.30*Red + 0.59*Green + 0.11*Blue

It might be 31 for red and 10 for blue but you have the idea.

There is a DOS interrupt that would convert a VGA palette entry from
rgb to grayscale. I think it is int 10,10,0b but I might be wrong (man
was it a long ago!). If you have some info on he ints you might check
it out, this is where I know this formula from.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

> Gray = 0.30*Red + 0.59*Green + 0.11*Blue
>
> It might be 31 for red and 10 for blue but you have the idea.
>
> There is a DOS interrupt that would convert a VGA palette entry from
> rgb to grayscale. I think it is int 10,10,0b but I might be wrong (man
> was it a long ago!). If you have some info on he ints you might check
> it out, this is where I know this formula from.
>
> Peter Popov
> ICQ: 15002700

Thanks, for all the replies.
The thread in March wasn't the one because I remembered it as being within the
last three months so it was probably that from August, but what Peter has here
should keep me happy for a while.
BTW: I'm truly very sorry that I can't show you what this is all about, since
it's a project I'm working on that is now close to 200Mb. Just let me say that
it is great fun and nearly 100% POV-Ray on the outside 8)

Remco

Post a reply to this message

>On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:14:50 +0200, Remco de Korte
><rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:
>
>>There was a discussion in one of the groups on this server not long ago
about
>>converting rgb to grayscale values. I've been looking for that thread but
can't
>>find it. Some formulas were mentioned and I'd like to try those again.
>>
>>Houdoe!
>>
>>Remco
>
>A rough formula is:
>
>Gray = 0.30*Red + 0.59*Green + 0.11*Blue
>
>It might be 31 for red and 10 for blue but you have the idea.
>
>There is a DOS interrupt that would convert a VGA palette entry from
>rgb to grayscale. I think it is int 10,10,0b but I might be wrong (man
>was it a long ago!). If you have some info on he ints you might check
>it out, this is where I know this formula from.

The interrupt is INT 10 with AX = 101B.  The list I have doesn't have any
more information than that.

Mark

Post a reply to this message