POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rgb-->grayscale : Re: rgb-->grayscale Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:22:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb-->grayscale
From: Peter Popov
Date: 29 Sep 1999 01:09:04
Message: <Bp7xN+eQj=rzdmeGgdqC9+vmpjju@4ax.com>
On Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:14:50 +0200, Remco de Korte
<rem### [at] xs4allnl> wrote:

>There was a discussion in one of the groups on this server not long ago about
>converting rgb to grayscale values. I've been looking for that thread but can't
>find it. Some formulas were mentioned and I'd like to try those again.
>
>Houdoe!
>
>Remco

A rough formula is:

Gray = 0.30*Red + 0.59*Green + 0.11*Blue

It might be 31 for red and 10 for blue but you have the idea.

There is a DOS interrupt that would convert a VGA palette entry from
rgb to grayscale. I think it is int 10,10,0b but I might be wrong (man
was it a long ago!). If you have some info on he ints you might check
it out, this is where I know this formula from.

Peter Popov
ICQ: 15002700