POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : rgb-->grayscale : Re: rgb-->grayscale Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: rgb-->grayscale
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 29 Sep 1999 07:48:36
Message: <37F1FCD4.FCF9E6F9@xs4all.nl>
Peter Popov wrote:

> A rough formula is:
>
> Gray = 0.30*Red + 0.59*Green + 0.11*Blue
>
> It might be 31 for red and 10 for blue but you have the idea.
>
> There is a DOS interrupt that would convert a VGA palette entry from
> rgb to grayscale. I think it is int 10,10,0b but I might be wrong (man
> was it a long ago!). If you have some info on he ints you might check
> it out, this is where I know this formula from.
>
> Peter Popov
> ICQ: 15002700

Thanks, for all the replies.
The thread in March wasn't the one because I remembered it as being within the
last three months so it was probably that from August, but what Peter has here
should keep me happy for a while.
BTW: I'm truly very sorry that I can't show you what this is all about, since
it's a project I'm working on that is now close to 200Mb. Just let me say that
it is great fun and nearly 100% POV-Ray on the outside 8)

Remco