POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance Server Time
11 Aug 2024 03:26:41 EDT (-0400)
  AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: Scott Sexton & David Lewis
Subject: AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance
Date: 26 Sep 1999 15:18:02
Message: <37EE7077.28BF93EC@cheerful.com>
Sorry if this question has been posted and answered somewhere, but I
have searched the postings and faqs and can find nothing on it.

I have a newish eMachine (low priced PC) with an AMD 333Mhz K2 that
renders all my old povray scenes slower than my laptop with a 120Mhz
Pentium (like 1/3 the speed rather than 3 times faster, as I would think
it should). This very slow rendering performance occurs under both the
Win98 and Mandrake Linux 6.0 OS installations on the eMachine so it does
not appear to be a OS or software installation problem to me. (Perhaps
the K2's L2 cache? but the laptop is older and only has smallish
processor cache anyway.)

> Sorry if this question has been posted and answered somewhere, but I
> have searched the postings and faqs and can find nothing on it.
>
> I have a newish eMachine (low priced PC) with an AMD 333Mhz K2 that
> renders all my old povray scenes slower than my laptop with a 120Mhz
> Pentium (like 1/3 the speed rather than 3 times faster, as I would think
> it should). This very slow rendering performance occurs under both the
> Win98 and Mandrake Linux 6.0 OS installations on the eMachine so it does
> not appear to be a OS or software installation problem to me. (Perhaps
> the K2's L2 cache? but the laptop is older and only has smallish
> processor cache anyway.)

What kind of memory do you have plugged into it?  If it's DRAM instead
of SDRAM, you're seeling yourself short.

--
ICQ: 46085459

Post a reply to this message