POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance : Re: AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:21:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance
From: Philip Bartol
Date: 28 Sep 1999 01:09:09
Message: <37f04d75@news.povray.org>

:
>  Also I think that AMD has a quite slow FPU.

This is what I was told about my Evergreen 586 upgrade to my PC. A while ago I
rendered that simple glass that I made in sPatch... it took 7 hours to render
(setting max_trace_level high was part of the problem) but I was told then
that the AMD FPUs aren't that fast, however I never did hear back from that
person if they knew if it was all AMDs or just the older 586s....

This is something I need to look into. When I replace this PC with a new one
(I'm thinking about keeping the machine I got and run Linux on it, but anyway)
I don't want to go out and buy a poor performace FPU if I'm going to continue
to do stuff with POV (and I think I'm hooked now.... "you know you've been
raytracing too long when you setup a seperate configuration and icon for the
POVray Newsgroups).

PHIL