POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance : Re: AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance Server Time
11 Aug 2024 01:17:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 28 Sep 1999 08:18:03
Message: <37F0B23F.278BE201@xs4all.nl>
Philip Bartol wrote:

> This is what I was told about my Evergreen 586 upgrade to my PC. A while ago I
> rendered that simple glass that I made in sPatch... it took 7 hours to render
> (setting max_trace_level high was part of the problem) but I was told then
> that the AMD FPUs aren't that fast, however I never did hear back from that
> person if they knew if it was all AMDs or just the older 586s....
>
> This is something I need to look into.

I've just tried to find out about this. It's not easy to tell. AMD may be a bit
slower on FPUs but is more efficient on memory management and other things so
I've been told. The way I interpreted all information Intel is a few percent
faster but it's also more expensive (about 15% over here - with 450Mhz).
I opted for AMD but I don't think that was a 100% rational choice.

Remco