POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance (Message 7 to 16 of 16)
From: Scott Sexton & David Lewis
Subject: Re: AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance
Date: 27 Sep 1999 18:37:48
Message: <37EFF0C6.8BA41A5E@cheerful.com>
John VanSickle wrote:

> What kind of memory do you have plugged into it?  If it's DRAM instead
> of SDRAM, you're seeling yourself short.

Thanks for your reply John. It's PC100 SDRAM.

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 27 Sep 1999 21:09:34
Message: <37F018DD.7BBDC307@erols.com>
Scott Sexton & David Lewis wrote:

> John VanSickle wrote:
>

> > What kind of memory do you have plugged into it?  If it's DRAM
> > instead of SDRAM, you're seeling yourself short.
>
> Thanks for your reply John. It's PC100 SDRAM.

Assuming it's not faulty, it's not the problem.
--
ICQ: 46085459

Post a reply to this message

From: Philip Bartol
Date: 28 Sep 1999 01:09:09
Message: <37f04d75@news.povray.org>

:
>  Also I think that AMD has a quite slow FPU.

This is what I was told about my Evergreen 586 upgrade to my PC. A while ago I
rendered that simple glass that I made in sPatch... it took 7 hours to render
(setting max_trace_level high was part of the problem) but I was told then
that the AMD FPUs aren't that fast, however I never did hear back from that
person if they knew if it was all AMDs or just the older 586s....

This is something I need to look into. When I replace this PC with a new one
(I'm thinking about keeping the machine I got and run Linux on it, but anyway)
I don't want to go out and buy a poor performace FPU if I'm going to continue
to do stuff with POV (and I think I'm hooked now.... "you know you've been
raytracing too long when you setup a seperate configuration and icon for the
POVray Newsgroups).

PHIL

> This is what I was told about my Evergreen 586 upgrade to my PC. A while ago I
> rendered that simple glass that I made in sPatch... it took 7 hours to render
> (setting max_trace_level high was part of the problem) but I was told then
> that the AMD FPUs aren't that fast, however I never did hear back from that
> person if they knew if it was all AMDs or just the older 586s....
>
> This is something I need to look into.

I've just tried to find out about this. It's not easy to tell. AMD may be a bit
slower on FPUs but is more efficient on memory management and other things so
I've been told. The way I interpreted all information Intel is a few percent
faster but it's also more expensive (about 15% over here - with 450Mhz).
I opted for AMD but I don't think that was a 100% rational choice.

Remco

Post a reply to this message

On Tue, 28 Sep 1999 14:19:11 +0200, Remco de Korte wrote:
>Philip Bartol wrote:
>>
>> This is what I was told about my Evergreen 586 upgrade to my PC. A while ago I
>> rendered that simple glass that I made in sPatch... it took 7 hours to render
>> (setting max_trace_level high was part of the problem) but I was told then
>> that the AMD FPUs aren't that fast, however I never did hear back from that
>> person if they knew if it was all AMDs or just the older 586s....
>>
>> This is something I need to look into.
>
>I've just tried to find out about this. It's not easy to tell. AMD may be a bit
>slower on FPUs but is more efficient on memory management and other things so
>I've been told. The way I interpreted all information Intel is a few percent
>faster but it's also more expensive (about 15% over here - with 450Mhz).
>I opted for AMD but I don't think that was a 100% rational choice.

I have an AMD K6/233 at home.  When I bought it, it was the best bang for the
buck.  Yes, the FPU might be a little slower, but I'm betting it's not slow
enough to make up for the extra 100 MHz or so I could afford by not buying
Intel.

Post a reply to this message