POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance : Re: AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance Server Time
11 Aug 2024 07:11:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: AMD K2 (eMachine) slow pov-ray performance
From: Philip Bartol
Date: 6 Oct 1999 01:55:53
Message: <37fae469@news.povray.org>
In article <37F190F1.15F6CFE8@cheerful.com>, Scott Sexton & David Lewis
<2b### [at] cheerfulcom> wrote:
>(Later the next day) Well, I found the problem now that I studied the
>system a little more carefully. It seems that both Netscape under Linux
>and IE5 under Windows take lots of processor time even when they are
>sitting idle. I usually have a browser open almost continuously since I
>use a cable modem with an always live connection. Thanks again for all
>the feedback on my question, the rendering time is now what it should be
>for skyvase.pov on a K6-2 333 Mhz, about 2 minutes. I just have to make
>sure I close any resource hogging browsers down when they are not in use
>if I am rendering a time consuming scene!

Sounds like maybe it's time to look into Opera... you gotta figure that MS is
he king of BloatWare and Netscape isn't the smallest piece of software out
their either. Back in the day (when I only had 4MB of RAM) I test installed a
copy of IE4 (I was going to be installing it for someone on their office
computer) and it rendered my Windows 3.11 useless from the splash screen on. I
had to manually removed the components from DOS before I could get it up and
running again.

BTW have you checked it when shutting off all sorts of Java?

PHIL