POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Infinity in a box Server Time
11 Aug 2024 05:11:41 EDT (-0400)
  Infinity in a box (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Philip Bartol
Subject: Infinity in a box
Date: 15 Sep 1999 08:51:15
Message: <37df9643@news.povray.org>
Sometime in the last week someone brought up the "infinity in a box" thing
again, they did it with a clear box with a reflection of 1.

The first person to try this claimed they had a problem with it disapearing to
black, but my problem has gone the other way, I get about 1 1/2 reflections
(all of which are faded) and then it fades to white.

I tried removing all of the light sources and setting the ambients higher,
etc. I even moved the camera into the box, I get a better image, but it still
seems to be a bit bright.

Changing the base color (of the transmit 1 pigment) of the box, but that
doesn't seem to effect it....

This is a diversion I really don't need, but now that I'm on it I'd like to
see it through <GRIN>

Any help would be great....

Thanks....

PHIL

'transmit 1' you say? Watch out when using it instead of 'filter'
since for reasons not entirley known to me it tends to increase
brightnesses.

Bob

Philip Bartol <phi### [at] concentricnet> wrote in message
> Sometime in the last week someone brought up the "infinity in a box"
thing
> again, they did it with a clear box with a reflection of 1.
>
> The first person to try this claimed they had a problem with it
disapearing to
> black, but my problem has gone the other way, I get about 1 1/2
reflections
> (all of which are faded) and then it fades to white.
>
> I tried removing all of the light sources and setting the ambients
higher,
> etc. I even moved the camera into the box, I get a better image, but
it still
> seems to be a bit bright.
>
> Changing the base color (of the transmit 1 pigment) of the box, but
that
> doesn't seem to effect it....
>
> This is a diversion I really don't need, but now that I'm on it I'd
like to
> see it through <GRIN>
>
> Any help would be great....
>
> Thanks....
>
> PHIL

> Sometime in the last week someone brought up the "infinity in a box" thing
> again, they did it with a clear box with a reflection of 1.
>
> The first person to try this claimed they had a problem with it disapearing to
> black, but my problem has gone the other way, I get about 1 1/2 reflections
> (all of which are faded) and then it fades to white.
>
> I tried removing all of the light sources and setting the ambients higher,
> etc. I even moved the camera into the box, I get a better image, but it still
> seems to be a bit bright.
>
> Changing the base color (of the transmit 1 pigment) of the box, but that
> doesn't seem to effect it....
>
> This is a diversion I really don't need, but now that I'm on it I'd like to
> see it through <GRIN>
>
> Any help would be great....
>
> Thanks....
>
> PHIL

Did you put the box in an entirely black (or very close to it) setting?  Because
the reflection values are added each time a ray hits the cube, anything else will
fade to a color (white in most cases) very fast.

Post a reply to this message