POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:19:22 EDT (-0400)
  Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1 (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Lummox JR
Subject: Re: Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1
Date: 11 Jun 1999 16:11:38
Message: <37616DFE.7BD6@aol.com>
Ken wrote:
> I wonder if you might not have some success by applying your HF image to a
> plane as an image map with using interpolation and then use use the resulting
> image for you HF image. That or try smoothing the image with a blurring or
> softening filter in a paint program prior to applying it as a HF object.

Ah, but all these solutions get us back to the same problem: Some
triangles will still face the light source, so the undesired diffuse
reflection effect will still happen. And again, increasing the
resolution of the height field does nothing but make those reflective
spots a little smaller, and slow down the render--it doesn't eliminate
them.

Lummox JR

Post a reply to this message

> > I wonder if you might not have some success by applying your HF image to a
> > plane as an image map with using interpolation and then use use the resulting
> > image for you HF image. That or try smoothing the image with a blurring or
> > softening filter in a paint program prior to applying it as a HF object.
>
> Ah, but all these solutions get us back to the same problem: Some
> triangles will still face the light source, so the undesired diffuse
> reflection effect will still happen. And again, increasing the
> resolution of the height field does nothing but make those reflective
> spots a little smaller, and slow down the render--it doesn't eliminate
> them.
>
> Lummox JR

 Then I am forced to reply that if the results you are recieving with
your current scene elements are unacceptabel change them until they
are. Try changing the location of your light sources or change the
finish statement.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net