POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1 : Re: Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1 Server Time
11 Aug 2024 23:18:08 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not-so-smooth height_field in POV 3.1
From: Lummox JR
Date: 13 Jun 1999 01:51:47
Message: <3763477C.419@aol.com>
Ken wrote:
>  Then I am forced to reply that if the results you are recieving with
> your current scene elements are unacceptabel change them until they
> are. Try changing the location of your light sources or change the
> finish statement.

Been there, done that. Light source changes do nothing except move the
light spots to a different area, and the finish statement can do nothing
to improve the smoothing.
The entire core of the problem is that the engine is not doing *enough*
smoothing toward the corners and edges of each triangle, and as far as I
understand the concept, it should be a trivial matter (for the authors)
to modify the smoothing function to supply a single value that controls
the degree of smoothing.

Lummox JR