POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ship modelling Server Time
11 Aug 2024 19:34:45 EDT (-0400)
  Ship modelling (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Mike Metheny
Subject: Ship modelling
Date: 11 May 1999 23:04:09
Message: <3738e199.0@news.povray.org>
Anyone done some sail ship modelling and care to share tips?  I have started
an ambitious project that will prolly never come close to finishing, but
hey. (aren't they all ambitious?) and some tips/idears as to modelling would
be helpful.

--

Mike Metheny
lon### [at] vtedu

"When one's words are no better than silence, one should keep silent."

Post a reply to this message

> Anyone done some sail ship modelling and care to share tips?  I have started
> an ambitious project that will prolly never come close to finishing, but
> hey. (aren't they all ambitious?) and some tips/idears as to modelling would
> be helpful.
>
> --
>
> Mike Metheny
> lon### [at] vtedu
> mik### [at] loneshepherdcom
> http://www.loneshepherd.com/
>
> "When one's words are no better than silence, one should keep silent."
Look at the IRTC. there are some good ships there.

http://www.irtc.org

//Spider

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 11 May 1999 23:36:02
Message: <3738402C.4E798A52@pacbell.net>
Mike Metheny wrote:

> Anyone done some sail ship modelling and care to share tips?  I have started
> an ambitious project that will prolly never come close to finishing, but
> hey. (aren't they all ambitious?) and some tips/idears as to modelling would
> be helpful.

Hi Master Metheny,

  Bezier patches for the sails.  The same goes for the hull if you are
looking for a smooth surface. If you want lapped planks for the hull it
gets a bit more difficult and csg comes into play. Your first task should
be to get a good set of pictures of a ship or boat that is close to what
you want to build and reference them often. There are many different
fittings and pieces on a boat and trying to remember them all is nearly
impossible.
   By a plastic model kit first, put it together and then take out a good
pair of callipers would be the accurate way to go and is not unheard of.
Leave the textures and pigments simple and worry more about getting the
shape and lines of the boat right before you worry about the cosmetics.
Irregularities show quickly on a ship for some reason and can be spotted
be even novice boat fanciers.
  Don't "just" settle for a water texture. Work at it until it is right
for the setting the ship is in. This means having the boards on the dock
reflecting properly on the waters surface or buildings at the waters edge
coming into play with their shadows and image showing in the reflection
from the water.
  If it is a solo scene then you are talking open water and again the water
and sky will be as much of a challenge to model correctly as would the
construction of the ship. Get that wrong and you can just throw the ship
away. On the other hand if you show it anchored at port then it would add
to the reality of you had some other small craft anchored around it. I have
never seen just one ship at anchor in the harbour and usually it's hard so
see just one boat through the forest of other craft in the area.
  My last piece of advice is critical for success. Be sure to have at least
one sea bird in the sky and two to six would be better for that added touch
of realism. A big friendly pelican on an pier support would be a major bonus
as would a few fishing nets drying in the sun around the docks.

Well you did ask after all :)

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Metheny
Date: 12 May 1999 00:12:51
Message: <3738f1b3.0@news.povray.org>
<<Bezier patches for the sails.>>

Ooo bezier patches. . .never used dem before ;p.  time to search my errored
help file :>.  CSG may be the bitchy thing to do but may be the way to go.

  <<Your first task should be to get a good set of pictures of a ship or
boat that is close to what you want to build and reference them often. There
are many different
fittings and pieces on a boat and trying to remember them all is nearly
impossible.>>

Am currently looking now.

 <<By a plastic model kit first, put it together and then take out a good
pair of callipers would be the accurate way to go and is not unheard of.>>

Maybe.

<<Don't "just" settle for a water texture>>

Well I'm asking for it but I plan to put a ship in a bottle (can we say
Absolut yes i knew

<<A big friendly pelican on an pier support would be a major bonus>>

Hadn't thought about this but this might be good!  The scene layout as i
envision it in my mind is the ship on the water inside the bottle, and the
bottle is on a stand sitting on an old mariner's desk in the captain's cabin
perhaps, with some old looking sea stuff lying around.

<<Well you did ask after all :)>>

Indeed I did.

From: Spider
Date: 12 May 1999 00:32:44
Message: <3738F4F8.B0FA9AF@bahnhof.se>
Hmm, this scene layout makes me think of Poe.. Ms. Caught in a bottle..

*grins*

//Spider

Post a reply to this message

From: Lewis
Date: 12 May 1999 17:20:17
Message: <3739E279.93B69699@netvision.net.il>
A few people have submitted IRTC entries with ships. You might want to
read their descriptions:

Classic ships, made in moray (I think)

http://www.irtc.org/stills/1999-04-30/seafight.jpg
Is the image

http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1999-04-30/seafight.txt
Is the text file

This is the better one (IMHO), a more modern ship, but wasn't done in
pov.

Picture
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1999-04-30/aurora.jpg

Text file
http://www.irtc.org/ftp/pub/stills/1999-04-30/aurora.txt

Post a reply to this message

From: Julius Klatte
Date: 12 May 1999 18:15:29
Message: <3739ef71.0@news.povray.org>
><<Bezier patches for the sails.>>
>
>Ooo bezier patches. . .never used dem before ;p.  time to
search my errored
>help file :>.  CSG may be the bitchy thing to do but may be
the way to go.

Another way might be a mesh, but it's very hard to do those
without a modeller (patches too by the way... I'm working on
it though). I'm curious how you think to make a realistic
sail with CSG. A blob shape might be and idea too...

>  <<Your first task should be to get a good set of pictures
of a ship or
>boat that is close to what you want to build and reference
them often. There
>are many different
>fittings and pieces on a boat and trying to remember them
all is nearly
>impossible.>>

Imagine all the modelling involved... :)

><<A big friendly pelican on an pier support would be a
major bonus>>
>Hadn't thought about this but this might be good!  The
scene layout as i
>envision it in my mind is the ship on the water inside the
bottle, and the
>bottle is on a stand sitting on an old mariner's desk in
the captain's cabin
>perhaps, with some old looking sea stuff lying around.

So how do you want to get the pelican into the bottle?

By the way, ships in bottles tend to have their sails
struck...(no patches after all?)... and if you want a model
of a model, I don't think the precision needs to be very
high anyway.

Julius

Post a reply to this message

From: F VERBAAS
Date: 13 May 1999 10:12:11
Message: <373acfab.0@news.povray.org>
There are a lot of sources for general arrangement plans, sailplans and
lines plans.
Check your local library. A very good source may be model builder's
magazines. They sometimes publish complete building guides for wooden
models. The web has very little technical information.

I know there are some demo versions of CAD packages for naval architects,
but they generally do not allow to store your work or dump the hull grid to
DXF or so.  (should one find one that does please let me know).

What type of sailing vessel do you plan to model?
--
Frans Verbaas

Keep in touch with the Dutch !!!
Mike Metheny heeft geschreven in bericht <3738e199.0@news.povray.org>...

From: F VERBAAS
Date: 13 May 1999 10:12:13
Message: <373acfad.0@news.povray.org>
There are a lot of sources for general arrangement plans, sailplans and
lines/body plans.
Check your local library. Model builder's magazines may prove a powerful
source. They sometimes publish complete building guides for wooden models. I
found very little technical information on the web.

For the hull and the sails you could try SPATCH.
I know there are some demo versions of CAD packages for naval architects,
but they generally do not allow to store your work or dump the hull grid to
DXF or so.  (should one find one that does please let me know).

What type of sailing vessel do you plan to model? There have been some
recent rebuilds which had ample publicity.