POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ship modelling : Re: Ship modelling Server Time
11 Aug 2024 21:23:48 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ship modelling
From: Julius Klatte
Date: 12 May 1999 18:15:29
Message: <3739ef71.0@news.povray.org>
><<Bezier patches for the sails.>>
>
>Ooo bezier patches. . .never used dem before ;p.  time to
search my errored
>help file :>.  CSG may be the bitchy thing to do but may be
the way to go.

Another way might be a mesh, but it's very hard to do those
without a modeller (patches too by the way... I'm working on
it though). I'm curious how you think to make a realistic
sail with CSG. A blob shape might be and idea too...

>  <<Your first task should be to get a good set of pictures
of a ship or
>boat that is close to what you want to build and reference
them often. There
>are many different
>fittings and pieces on a boat and trying to remember them
all is nearly
>impossible.>>

Imagine all the modelling involved... :)

><<A big friendly pelican on an pier support would be a
major bonus>>
>Hadn't thought about this but this might be good!  The
scene layout as i
>envision it in my mind is the ship on the water inside the
bottle, and the
>bottle is on a stand sitting on an old mariner's desk in
the captain's cabin
>perhaps, with some old looking sea stuff lying around.

So how do you want to get the pelican into the bottle?

By the way, ships in bottles tend to have their sails
struck...(no patches after all?)... and if you want a model
of a model, I don't think the precision needs to be very
high anyway.

Julius