POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Maps question Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:32:16 EDT (-0400)
  Image Maps question (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Rick (Kitty5)
Subject: Re: Image Maps question
Date: 6 May 1999 09:15:00
Message: <373187c4.0@news.povray.org>
> I was going to suggest using wood or cylindrical with a pigment map, but
> it looks like Ron already suggested that.  You mention that the bottle
> is from sPatch.  Can't you just split it up in sPatch into two different
> parts (outside and inside)?  The you could apply the map just to the
> outside

I have used this technique my self from time to time, however, because the
vessel is defined from two mesh objects, one slightly smaller than the
other, if made of glass refraction does not look correct as there is
'nothing between the inside and outside.

but for an object which only plays a minor role in a scene, it is not
notacable.

Rick

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 6 May 1999 12:31:26 +0100, Rick (Kitty5) <kit### [at] dialpipexcom> wrote:

>> I was going to suggest using wood or cylindrical with a pigment map, but
>> it looks like Ron already suggested that.  You mention that the bottle
>> is from sPatch.  Can't you just split it up in sPatch into two different
>> parts (outside and inside)?  The you could apply the map just to the
>> outside
>
>I have used this technique my self from time to time, however, because the
>vessel is defined from two mesh objects, one slightly smaller than the
>other, if made of glass refraction does not look correct as there is
>'nothing between the inside and outside.

I haven't tested it, but I think you can get away with

union {
  object{ patch_object_1 texture{...}}
  object{ patch_object_2 texture{...}}
  interior {...}
}

and have the refraction handled correctly.  Yes, patch objects aren't supposed
to work in CSG, but I think this will work anyway based on what I know of the
way POV does refraction.

Post a reply to this message