POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Image Maps question : Re: Image Maps question Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:26:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Image Maps question
From: Ron Parker
Date: 6 May 1999 10:21:58
Message: <37319776.0@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 6 May 1999 12:31:26 +0100, Rick (Kitty5) <kit### [at] dialpipexcom> wrote:

>> I was going to suggest using wood or cylindrical with a pigment map, but
>> it looks like Ron already suggested that.  You mention that the bottle
>> is from sPatch.  Can't you just split it up in sPatch into two different
>> parts (outside and inside)?  The you could apply the map just to the
>> outside
>
>I have used this technique my self from time to time, however, because the
>vessel is defined from two mesh objects, one slightly smaller than the
>other, if made of glass refraction does not look correct as there is
>'nothing between the inside and outside.

I haven't tested it, but I think you can get away with

union {
  object{ patch_object_1 texture{...}}
  object{ patch_object_2 texture{...}}
  interior {...}
}

and have the refraction handled correctly.  Yes, patch objects aren't supposed
to work in CSG, but I think this will work anyway based on what I know of the
way POV does refraction.