POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I have a problem with Media Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:29:33 EDT (-0400)
  I have a problem with Media (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Steven Pigeon
Subject: I have a problem with Media
Date: 10 Apr 1999 12:31:25
Message: <370F6DEA.F25FE695@iro.umontreal.ca>
I use this declaration:

#declare intensite_r = 0.0000000;
#declare intensite_g = 0.0000000;
#declare intensite_b = 0.0000015;

media
 {
  intervals 5
  scattering { 1, rgb < intensite_r, intensite_g, intensite_b > }
  //samples 50, 100
  samples 35, 50
  confidence 0.99999
  variance 1/100
  ratio 0.9
 }

But the media remains coarse and grainy. Is there a way to
get smooth-looking fog like mist without pumping the sampling
rate to, say, 500 or something ?

Best,

    S.

Steven Pigeon                     Ph. D. Student.
University of Montreal.
pig### [at] iroumontrealca           Topics: data compression,
pig### [at] jspumontrealca          signal processing,
ste### [at] researchattcom           non stationnary signals
                                  and wavelets.
         http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/~pigeon

Post a reply to this message

>   scattering { 1, rgb < intensite_r, intensite_g, intensite_b > }
>   //samples 50, 100
>   samples 35, 50
>   confidence 0.99999
>   variance 1/100
>   ratio 0.9
>  }
>
> But the media remains coarse and grainy. Is there a way to
> get smooth-looking fog like mist without pumping the sampling
> rate to, say, 500 or something ?
>
> Best,
>
>     S.

 Hi,

 Try adding extinction 0.1 to the scattering statement and drop your
intervals setting. Your intensity color level is much smaller than
anything I have ever tried and I am surprised you are getting anything.
The extinction may make this difference more visible once added. Also I
posted source yesterday on the images group for participating media you
might look at. The only reason it looks as rough as it does is because
I was in a hurry and used a very low max samples setting for that render.
I also doubt you need the min. samples as high as you have them and
they could probably be reduced to 10.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

>  Try adding extinction 0.1 to the scattering statement and drop your
> intervals setting. Your intensity color level is much smaller than
> anything I have ever tried and I am surprised you are getting anything.
> The extinction may make this difference more visible once added. Also I
> posted source yesterday on the images group for participating media you
> might look at. The only reason it looks as rough as it does is because
> I was in a hurry and used a very low max samples setting for that render.
> I also doubt you need the min. samples as high as you have them and
> they could probably be reduced to 10.

I used to use atmosphere in earlier versions and kind of figured out howto use
it correct. My first few tries with media aren't really sucesses so
far :-) Besides, I was trying to get very subtle hues...

I downloaded your source and I'm toying with it...

Thanks...

    S.