POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I have a problem with Media : Re: I have a problem with Media Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:33:24 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I have a problem with Media
From: Tom Melly
Date: 12 Apr 1999 06:18:48
Message: <3711ba78.0@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote in message <370FC807.D9F96872@aol.com>...
>I would say lose the scattering altogether, nothing but noise from it in
>a open scene (non-container media) from what I've seen; try 'emission'
>(absorption too if necessary) instead. Those other parameters don't need
>to be so fine either execpt maybe upping the intervals (opposite of Kens
>suggestion? Okay, so I'm different).

I also have to agree with Bob - scattering is not necessery for basic media
use - it just sounds tempting in the docs. Stick to emission and absorbtion,
leave sampling at the defaults and up intervals to something decent - I tend
to use about 20 - 30 for final renders and about 10 for test renders.

See my post "intervals vs samples" in this thread for my best guess as to
why intervals are more important than samples, but basically samples control
the accuracy of a media, whereas intervals control the detail quality.