POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I have a problem with Media : Re: I have a problem with Media Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:31:12 EDT (-0400)
  Re: I have a problem with Media
From: Ken
Date: 10 Apr 1999 13:15:55
Message: <370F77D5.58BBC051@pacbell.net>
Steven Pigeon wrote:

> I use this declaration:
>
> #declare intensite_r = 0.0000000;
> #declare intensite_g = 0.0000000;
> #declare intensite_b = 0.0000015;
>
> media
>  {
>   intervals 5
>   scattering { 1, rgb < intensite_r, intensite_g, intensite_b > }
>   //samples 50, 100
>   samples 35, 50
>   confidence 0.99999
>   variance 1/100
>   ratio 0.9
>  }
>
> But the media remains coarse and grainy. Is there a way to
> get smooth-looking fog like mist without pumping the sampling
> rate to, say, 500 or something ?
>
> Best,
>
>     S.

 Hi,

 Try adding extinction 0.1 to the scattering statement and drop your
intervals setting. Your intensity color level is much smaller than
anything I have ever tried and I am surprised you are getting anything.
The extinction may make this difference more visible once added. Also I
posted source yesterday on the images group for participating media you
might look at. The only reason it looks as rough as it does is because
I was in a hurry and used a very low max samples setting for that render.
I also doubt you need the min. samples as high as you have them and
they could probably be reduced to 10.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net