POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media_attenuation - 1 : Margus - 0 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 03:28:07 EDT (-0400)
  media_attenuation - 1 : Margus - 0 (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Margus Ramst
Subject: media_attenuation - 1 : Margus - 0
Date: 11 Apr 1999 14:21:01
Message: <3710d9fd.0@news.povray.org>
Perhaps I'm suffering from an intellectual low here... I'll let you decide.

Excerpt from the docs:

Normally light coming from light sources is not influenced by fog or
atmospheric media. This can be changed by turning the media_attenuation on
for a given light source on. All light coming from this light source will
now be diminished as it travels through the fog or media.

The way I understand this, media should not cast shadows unless I turn
media_attenuation on. Much to my surprise, I discovered this to be
incorrect - absorbing media always casts shadows (unless the container
object uses transmit). I'm suddenly puzzled as to the meaning and use of
media_attenuation.

Please enlighten me...

Margus

Post a reply to this message

interaction should mean media shows up, shadows and all. attenuation
must mean then distance fading. If I'm right do I win anything?

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe