POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : media_attenuation - 1 : Margus - 0 : Re: media_attenuation - 1 : Margus - 0 Server Time
12 Aug 2024 01:35:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: media_attenuation - 1 : Margus - 0
From: Margus Ramst
Date: 12 Apr 1999 14:33:40
Message: <37122e74.0@news.povray.org>
I understand what media_interaction does. The problem is, even when light is
not scattered by media, the media still casts shadows!

IMO, the correct behaviour would be the following:
1) interaction on & attenuation on - light is scattered and attenuated (the
media casts shadows, unto itself and other objects/medias);
2) interaction off & attenuation on - light is not scattered but the media
still casts shadows from this light source;
3) interaction on & attenuation off - light is scattered, but _not_
attenuated, i.e. the media casts _no shadows_ from this light source, not
unto itself, not anywhere else;
4) interaction off & attenuation off - the media is not affected by this
light source in any way.

Because of a pseudo-bug in transmit, conditions 3) and 4) behave in the
described way when the container objects uses transmitted transparency
(regardless of media_attenuation setting). But with filtered transparency,
media casts shadows under all of these conditions.
All in all, I cannot see any difference in the rendered image, whether
media_attenuation is on or off.

Margus