POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ARCI (A Really Cool Idea) by Lance Birch ;-) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 05:22:34 EDT (-0400)
  ARCI (A Really Cool Idea) by Lance Birch ;-) (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: ingo
Subject: Re: ARCI (A Really Cool Idea) by Lance Birch ;-)
Date: 11 Apr 1999 10:12:24
Message: <37109fb8.0@news.povray.org>
Lance Birch heeft geschreven:
>Opacity and transparency are messures of the same thing... (not to be
>confused with transmission of course)  For example, you can give a texture
>transmission of 50%, and no matter how thick the object is, a certain
amount
>of light (50%) will always go through it... give it 5%, the object can be 1
>unit or 1000000 units thick and 5% of the light will still get through.

>What translucency does is affect the amount of light that can get through
>based on the ray depth and also changes the color of the object based on a
>density bias multiplier, applying this to the normal based surface
lighting.

That's what I meant with translucent is not glass clear (wrong choise of
words).

>The important thing to remember is that the translucency must be object
>surface normal independant to get the right effect... (only later is it
>applied to the surface normal dependant shader)...

So, an interior statement instead of finish?
(media, Mie-scattering, fade_distance, I'll give it a try)

>Did any one get that or did I just make it more confusing?

All clear.

ingo
--
Met dank aan de muze met het glazen oog.

Post a reply to this message

Yep, a media should be able to do it, but what I'm suggesting is that by
building it into the texture statement (whether it be in finish or whatever)
and having a specific translucency function, it can be made to be VERY fast.

The same goes for fluorescence...

--
Lance.

---