POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ARCI (A Really Cool Idea) by Lance Birch ;-) : Re: ARCI (A Really Cool Idea) by Lance Birch ;-) Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:20:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: ARCI (A Really Cool Idea) by Lance Birch ;-)
From: Bob Hughes
Date: 12 Apr 1999 02:02:13
Message: <37117E2F.319A3793@aol.com>
You talked of transmittance ('transmit'?) being 5% or 50% or 100%
regardless of thickness of the object having such. This doesn't appear
to be exactly true when considering different rgb values used. Well
known fact that 'filter 1' is 100% clear if used on 'rgb 1', and 100%
non transparent if 'filter 1' is used with 'rgb 0' instead.
However also 'transmit 0.5' of 'rgb 1' is clearer than if 'rgb 0' or so
it seems. So I'm not so sure of the true workings of these when
considering the "visible" appearances anyhow. I know it might have a lot
to do with the background object or texture seen through something like
this, but black has always obscured better than white whether filter or
transmit is used far as it looks to me.
Back to the translucent and fluorescent concepts. I do understand the
idea at least. A white wax candle stick is best for me to think of for
describing translucence. What is needed is the blurring of incoming
light and/or object textures as seen through or "into" it. I was
thinking of a highly diffusing normal in a texture which would
effectively scatter everything, and coupled with light fading. Of
course, I haven't checked this out yet.
Not saying I'm against your idea either, just so you know.
The fluorescence would be in need of a glow effect for sure if to be
done right at all (translucence actually glows too via outside light
sources). Emitting objects/textures I believe may have been assumed to
be covered by radiosity somewhat.
Well, I feel I'm just reiterating what's already been said.
All in all the answer probably is a media type thing all right, not
texture based. (Like I needed to write anything once again... heck)

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe