POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height fields Server Time
12 Aug 2024 07:24:45 EDT (-0400)
  Height fields (Message 11 to 18 of 18)
From: Lance Birch
Subject: Re: Height fields
Date: 4 Apr 1999 22:44:47
Message: <3708158f.0@news.povray.org>
Well, I was leaving it open for other people more experienced (and as you
can see they've all jumped in like I expected them to).

But:  Meshes, Bicubic Patches, Some use of Isosurface (would require the
patch though), Shearing and warping of a normal height field with a matrix
(although I don't know enough about them any more), convert a height field
to a mesh and edit it externally, combine height fields in such a way that
you could have an inverse height field on top to make the overhangs...

OK, that's all I can think of right now.

--
Lance.

---
The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone

Post a reply to this message

> Well, I was leaving it open for other people more experienced (and as you
> can see they've all jumped in like I expected them to).
>
> But:  Meshes, Bicubic Patches, Some use of Isosurface (would require the
> patch though), Shearing and warping of a normal height field with a matrix
> (although I don't know enough about them any more), convert a height field
> to a mesh and edit it externally, combine height fields in such a way that
> you could have an inverse height field on top to make the overhangs...
>
> OK, that's all I can think of right now.
>
> --
> Lance.
>
> ---
> For the latest 3D Studio MAX plug-ins, images and much more, go to:
> The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone

  An idea for a new utility. A height field generator that uses bicubic
patches. After the initial shape is established you can take the patch
object into a program like spatch and make final adjustments to your
surface topography such as flattening areas for road beds, pulling out
cliffs, etc.

No I am not volunteering to write such a montser either. It was a fleeting
thought that got the better of me.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

I've already written a converted...but it isn't perfect.  I'd have to
figure out the sPatch format however.  Also due to the limitations of
BPatches (ie 4x4) you lose some data in the conversion unless you want
massive numbers of patches.

Steve

Ken wrote:

> Lance Birch wrote:
> >
> > Well, I was leaving it open for other people more experienced (and as you
> > can see they've all jumped in like I expected them to).
> >
> > But:  Meshes, Bicubic Patches, Some use of Isosurface (would require the
> > patch though), Shearing and warping of a normal height field with a matrix
> > (although I don't know enough about them any more), convert a height field
> > to a mesh and edit it externally, combine height fields in such a way that
> > you could have an inverse height field on top to make the overhangs...
> >
> > OK, that's all I can think of right now.
> >
> > --
> > Lance.
> >
> > ---
> > For the latest 3D Studio MAX plug-ins, images and much more, go to:
> > The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone
>
>   An idea for a new utility. A height field generator that uses bicubic
> patches. After the initial shape is established you can take the patch
> object into a program like spatch and make final adjustments to your
> surface topography such as flattening areas for road beds, pulling out
> cliffs, etc.
>
> No I am not volunteering to write such a montser either. It was a fleeting
> thought that got the better of me.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

> I've already written a converted...but it isn't perfect.  I'd have to
> figure out the sPatch format however.  Also due to the limitations of
> BPatches (ie 4x4) you lose some data in the conversion unless you want
> massive numbers of patches.
>
> Steve

It does sound interesting none the less. I take it from the tone of your
message that it currently is not for the inexperienced Pov user, is best
used by the programs developer and the more adventurous, seasoned, Povray
veterans.