POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height fields : Re: Height fields Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:26:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height fields
From: Stephen Lavedas
Date: 7 Apr 1999 14:13:49
Message: <370B9263.C22217D8@virginia.edu>
In reality I'm pretty sure it is best used by me...it is just some C++
code that CAN under a few tweaks do what you ask.  I would be willing to
work on it, but I'm going to need to bite the bullet and actually start
reading TGA files.  I realize it isn't actually too difficult, I just
have to do it...Converting to OCT and then running the program isn't
really a valid option.  (If you'll recall my cylidrical and spherical
height field mapping util converted them to bpatches first.  BTW, there
is an example of a flat height field out of patches on my Web site at
http://www.people.Virginia.EDU/~swl7m/Images/BPatchfield.jpg
The patches aren't joined correctly (so as to reduce the lines you can
see) but it is a proof of concept.  Let me write a new util and see how
it turns out.  In all probability it will be a DOS command line utility.

Steve
(It will be in C++ so it should be REASONABLY portable...I may even make
a linux compile)