POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Height fields : Re: Height fields Server Time
12 Aug 2024 09:26:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Height fields
From: Ken
Date: 5 Apr 1999 11:45:58
Message: <3708CB7B.12EA61E6@pacbell.net>
Lance Birch wrote:

> Well, I was leaving it open for other people more experienced (and as you
> can see they've all jumped in like I expected them to).
>
> But:  Meshes, Bicubic Patches, Some use of Isosurface (would require the
> patch though), Shearing and warping of a normal height field with a matrix
> (although I don't know enough about them any more), convert a height field
> to a mesh and edit it externally, combine height fields in such a way that
> you could have an inverse height field on top to make the overhangs...
>
> OK, that's all I can think of right now.
>
> --
> Lance.
>
> ---
> For the latest 3D Studio MAX plug-ins, images and much more, go to:
> The Zone - http://come.to/the.zone

  An idea for a new utility. A height field generator that uses bicubic
patches. After the initial shape is established you can take the patch
object into a program like spatch and make final adjustments to your
surface topography such as flattening areas for road beds, pulling out
cliffs, etc.

No I am not volunteering to write such a montser either. It was a fleeting
thought that got the better of me.

--
Ken Tyler

mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net