POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Making a Statue Look Real Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:13:35 EDT (-0400)
  Making a Statue Look Real (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: John M  Dlugosz
Subject: Making a Statue Look Real
Date: 21 Feb 1999 21:56:33
Message: <36d0c761.0@news.povray.org>
I posted some test renders, using the "stones1.inc" textures, on
http://www.dlugosz.com/POV/compare/compare.html .

None of them really look right, as they are designed to give pretty patterns
and a statue is usually made from clean stone.  Otherwise it looks like some
kind of bad skin disease or a very dirty body stocking!

Something with variations in brightness but not color just looks confusing
as it gets mixed up with the shadows and shading that give the illusion of
shape in the first place.

Plain white looks funny, too.  Rather, it doesn't look like stone, but
plastic or an obvious CG image.

So I'll give Texture Magic a try (any other suggestions on software or
tutorials?  I'm using Windows NT 4), but I still don't know what it =ought=
to look like.

So, any specific suggestions on what attributes I need?  Any examples of
real looking statues around?

--John

Post a reply to this message