POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Where are you? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 17:25:33 EDT (-0400)
  Where are you? (Message 43 to 52 of 172)
From: Stephen Lavedas
Subject: Re: Where are you?
Date: 16 Feb 1999 15:20:36
Message: <36C9D33E.641F148B@virginia.edu>
> #declare life = rand(seed(42))*sqrt(-1);
So what is this?? Life = the imaginary random version of the answer to
life the universe and everything?  So life is an imaginary unreachable
goal?

Steve

Post a reply to this message

From: Spider
Date: 16 Feb 1999 15:37:33
Message: <36C9D5C2.BC0AE89F@bahnhof.se>
Stephen Lavedas wrote:

> > #declare life = rand(seed(42))*sqrt(-1);
> So what is this?? Life = the imaginary random version of the answer to
> life the universe and everything?  So life is an imaginary unreachable
> goal?
Yup... I still haven't found a place to download it. And POV hasn't done
it either.

So I just figured, taht with a true random generator(not a pseudo random
generator, as in POV), with the answer to it all as a seed, and then
returning an unexisting number, it would be prett ylikely to be life,
wouldn't it ?
I just have to render it... (haven't got any good results yet)

//Spider

From: Phil Clute
Date: 16 Feb 1999 16:56:35
Message: <36C9EAE1.6D736300@tiac.net>
<HTML>
I'm living in New Hampshire 45min north of Boston(depending how fast
<BR>you drive!).

<P>--
<BR>...coffee?...yes please! extra sugar,extra cream...Thank you.
<BR> </HTML>

Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Date: 16 Feb 1999 17:10:52
Message: <36c9ecec.0@news.povray.org>
Greg from Poughkeepsie, NY, USA.

I discovered POV through the UK mag Computer Arts.  My job involves failure analysis
and
materials engineering, both of which make use of my genetically enhanced 3-D reasoning
skills.  I was doing raytracing on my notepads before I had a computer!

Andrew Cocker wrote:

> Having only recently discovered this group, I'm curious as to where you're all from.
>
> Andy Cocker
>
> York, England.
>
> --------------------------
> and### [at] acockerfreeservecouk

Post a reply to this message

From: Psychomek
Date: 16 Feb 1999 17:22:10
Message: <36C9EF1A.70BEC08@cyberhighway.net>
Andrew Cocker wrote:

> Having only recently discovered this group, I'm curious as to where you're all from.
>
> Andy Cocker
>
> York, England.
>
> --------------------------
> and### [at] acockerfreeservecouk

My name is Jeremy Smith. I'm not a snob or any such thing....   and i am hopelessly
addicted to Moray and Povray!  (Although my lover thinks it is a waste of time *GASP*)
live in Gainesville Georgia, 40 miles North of Atlanta ('96 summer Olympics) I'm 21
yo,
interest include Povray (Obviously!), Music, Sci-fi/ Fantasy books, and RPGs....  as
far
as i can tell I'm the only one in the South eastern US on the NG...  but then i
haven't
read through all this thread.. :}

Psychomek

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Palmquist
Date: 16 Feb 1999 17:53:56
Message: <36C9F745.1C091D82@earthlink.net>
Well Ken, I'm guessing irvine ior Coasta Mesa but could be wrong.  I used to live in
Murrieta and commute to Santa Monica (95 miles each way) got old REAL quick.  Moved to
San
Jose, the real center of the universe, at least according to some:)  Now commute 5
Miles.
And yes Ken I am a "wacky, propeller headed,  poindexter, pocket pen pouch carrying,
programmer type!  But I think I can get along with your unprogrammed personality.  I
too
use no stinking modeling programs.

I love POV and wish I could get by with less than my normal 4 hours of sleep.  Just
don't
have as much time to play with POV.  Other hobbies are Shooting, Archery, computer
games
(DELTA FORCE), pop music and photography. So Ken quit knocking programmers or we'll
stop
writing code and you will have to raytrace with pen and paper.....

did you catch the pov typo? :) decided to leave it in after reading it and laughing.

Ken wrote:

> Andrew Cocker wrote:
> >
> > Having only recently discovered this group, I'm curious as to where you're all
from.

> > Andy Cocker
> >
> > York, England.
>
> Hello Andy Cocker from York, England.
>
>   First off, I am a Pov snob. I don't use no stinking modeling program
> to create my scenes and I don't indent my scene files like them wacky,
> propeller headed, Poindexter, pocket pen pouch carrying, programmer types.
>
>   So with that over with let me introduce myself...
>
>   I am simply referred to around here as Ken and this suits me just fine.
> I live on the west coast of North America, the state of California,
> approximatly 50 miles (80.45km) south of HollyWood, approximatly 80 miles
> (128.72km) north of the Mexico border, and just 10 minutes away from the
> original Disneyland, home of Mickey Mouse. I'm also 10 minutes away from
> some of the best beaches anywhere in the US and I live smack in the middle
> of a high technology, electronics development, and manufacturing region.
> It's not paridise but it sure ain't lovely downtown Bagdad either.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Palmquist
Date: 16 Feb 1999 18:03:04
Message: <36C9F969.59FB5836@earthlink.net>
Damn, Ken I was off by a few miles. Tustin, is the El Toro air base still there?  I
thought it
was closing down a few years ago.  Saw the Blue Angles there in '93.

From: Jim Kress
Date: 16 Feb 1999 18:04:53
Message: <36c9f995.0@news.povray.org>
Westland is West of Garden City, South of Livonia (and I96), East of
Plymouth (and I-275).  Southfield is way North and East of Livonia.

--
Jim

Check out my web site http://www.kressworks.com/
It'll blow your mind (politically), stimulate your senses (artistically)
and provide scientific insights beyond compare!

Be sure to read the Warp maintained POV VFAQ:
http://iki.fi/warp/povVFAQ.html

portelli wrote in message <36C9D717.AE393B76@pilot.msu.edu>...
>Actually it is more west of Southfield I think.
>
>Johannes Hubert wrote:
>>
>> Nathan Kopp wrote in message <36C8EC2B.66B41C50@Kopp.com>...
>> >Northville, huh???  hmm... quick search on MapsOnUs.com... wow.. you're
>> just
>> >down the freeway a bit.
>> >
>> >I'm currently living in Southfield, Michigan, USA (near Detroit).
>> [snip]
>>
>> I love those american town names!
>>
>> "Northville" being "just down the freeway a bit" from "Southfield"! :-)
>>
>> How far to "Eastvillage" and "Westhome"?
>>
>> Johannes.

Post a reply to this message

From: povray org admin team
Date: 16 Feb 1999 18:19:03
Message: <36c9fd58.45813062@news.povray.org>
"Andrew Cocker" <and### [at] acockerfreeservecouk> wrote:

>Now isn't that better? There's a couple of names missing from the
>list..Bob Hughes, Twyst, nd what has happened to Lance Birch?

Can't say, but maybe he got flooded out ?

[He lives in Gympie, Australia, which just experienced its worst
floods in 100 years ...]

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Kress
Date: 16 Feb 1999 18:35:29
Message: <36ca00c1.0@news.povray.org>
Well, with a name like that (Gympie) they probably had real trouble since no
one could run out of the way of the water ...  :)