POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering in B&W? Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:07:20 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering in B&W? (Message 31 to 40 of 54)
From: Kyle
Subject: Re: Rendering in B&W?
Date: 12 Mar 1999 21:41:31
Message: <36E9D03E.6E364C20@geocities.com>
Hi everyone, thanks for the great response to my post.  Well, I've read
through all of them and I've come to the conclusion that there is NOT an
automatic way to do this in POV-Ray.  My goal was for my image to look
like an old B&W photo, old west style particularly.  I guess it seems to
me that the only real way to do it is to do what Ken said and just give
each object a grey color.  I haven't actually tried it yet so I don't
know how hard it will be.  Actually, I think it may give me some very
badly needed control over my colors and textures (I can never seem to
get them quite right).  I'll have a go at it and post my creation in
binaries.images when I'm done.  Well, here goes nothin'.

Once again, thanks everyone for racking your brains trying to think of a
solution.  I really appreciate it.

		Kyle

Ken wrote:

> Kyle wrote:
> >
> > Hi everyone.  I have a quick question.  Is there any way to have POV-Ray
> > render in black and white?  I'm thinking about submitting an IRTC image
> > in black and white, but since post-processing is not allowed, I don't
> > see a good way to do it.  Is there some setting in POV-Ray for this?  Of
> > course, I can just give all the objects a greyish color but I don't
> > think that would come out very nicely.  Well, if anyone has a suggestion
> > I'd be very grateful to hear it.
> >
> >                 Kyle
>
>   See what a mess you started here Kyle ?
>
>   One other possibility that the folks in this crowd can grind donw the
> merit of is using a reflection vector with every object in the scene.
> If you use reflection <0.5,0.5,0.5> the color reflected off the object
> will by a 50% gray and the rest will be filtered out. How well this
> would work is untested and I don't know if you can stack reflection
> vectors on top of each other. If you can it might be possible to make
> a global reflection for the whole scene. Or - maybe not !
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> mailto://tylereng@pacbell.net

Post a reply to this message