POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : USER DOCUMENTATION PROJECT Server Time
12 Aug 2024 13:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  USER DOCUMENTATION PROJECT (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: Anthony Bennett
Subject: USER DOCUMENTATION PROJECT
Date: 27 Jan 1999 23:47:20
Message: <36AFECEF.9B5564AE@panama.phoenix.net>
First off, hello. =)

Second, I'd like to know if the POV-team has officially oked the
project.

I myself am quite interested in what could result. This would finally
allow me to grasp blobs and media. It would benefit many others too. I
like the book idea. I think it should pay for itself. Profits should go
back into printing and updating. That way, it could be eternally
maintained, refined, and reprinted.

I want to contribute my translation skills to 'port' it to Spanish, when
finished, as I have several friends who are lost in this
English-speaking world. I am also contributing my rendering time for the
generation of images for the help file.

I want to comment how I feel it should be presented. I think that this
should be a sort of plug-in type system, where you download a basic help
file along with the binaries, and then succesively download
'help-packages' that expand on the central help file, which, in turn,
contains a link to each plug-in that activates as each one becomes
available. Each section should sufficiently cover each area and have an
example image wherever necessary and helpful. I think that it should
have beginner and advanced (for all mad-physicists out there)
explanations for each subject. This should be, above all, a labor of
love, offered to all freely.

Thank you. =)

http://members.xoom.com/TonyBennett
sno### [at] usanet

Post a reply to this message

> Second, I'd like to know if the POV-team has officially oked the
> project.

Haven't heard a word.

> I myself am quite interested in what could result. This would finally
> allow me to grasp blobs and media. It would benefit many others too. I
> like the book idea. I think it should pay for itself. Profits should go
> back into printing and updating. That way, it could be eternally
> maintained, refined, and reprinted.

<snip>=<pins>

> Thank you. =)
Your Welcome !
> http://members.xoom.com/TonyBennett
> sno### [at] usanet

I see one big problem with a bound book version. Someone will
have to have ownership and authorship responsibility. With
this will go the costs of initial publishing and distribution.
If you get a commercial publisher to handle the printing and
distribution they are going to want to know what kind of market
there is for the product. They don't do it out of the kindness
of their hearts.  There may be a lot of Pov users but I doubt
there are enough willing to by the book to justify the printing
run.
  The only sensible method of distribution is via the net through
ftp and webpage downloads.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message

Perhaps a text book for university study:)  We have those cheaply bound
Lab manuals etc that are printed only for a single class...anyhow, it is
all speculation until we get to work/get approval.

Steve

Ken wrote:

> Anthony Bennett wrote:
> >
> > First off, hello. =)
>
> Hello !
>
> > Second, I'd like to know if the POV-team has officially oked the
> > project.
>
> Haven't heard a word.
>
> > I myself am quite interested in what could result. This would finally
> > allow me to grasp blobs and media. It would benefit many others too. I
> > like the book idea. I think it should pay for itself. Profits should go
> > back into printing and updating. That way, it could be eternally
> > maintained, refined, and reprinted.
>
> <snip>=<pins>
>
> > Thank you. =)
> Your Welcome !
> > http://members.xoom.com/TonyBennett
> > sno### [at] usanet
>
> I see one big problem with a bound book version. Someone will
> have to have ownership and authorship responsibility. With
> this will go the costs of initial publishing and distribution.
> If you get a commercial publisher to handle the printing and
> distribution they are going to want to know what kind of market
> there is for the product. They don't do it out of the kindness
> of their hearts.  There may be a lot of Pov users but I doubt
> there are enough willing to by the book to justify the printing
> run.
>   The only sensible method of distribution is via the net through
> ftp and webpage downloads.
>
> --
> Ken Tyler
>
> tyl### [at] pacbellnet

Post a reply to this message

    Thanks to the repliers. Good points. Maybe we should just keep it on the
'net.
Questions:
    What does "<snip>=<pins>" mean? Also, what do you think of my other
ideas for the project?

Post a reply to this message