POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : USER DOCUMENTATION PROJECT : Re: USER DOCUMENTATION PROJECT Server Time
12 Aug 2024 17:17:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: USER DOCUMENTATION PROJECT
From: Ken
Date: 28 Jan 1999 04:31:52
Message: <36B02E70.F20F3EFA@pacbell.net>
Anthony Bennett wrote:

> First off, hello. =)

Hello !

> Second, I'd like to know if the POV-team has officially oked the
> project.

Haven't heard a word.

> I myself am quite interested in what could result. This would finally
> allow me to grasp blobs and media. It would benefit many others too. I
> like the book idea. I think it should pay for itself. Profits should go
> back into printing and updating. That way, it could be eternally
> maintained, refined, and reprinted.

<snip>=<pins>

> Thank you. =)
Your Welcome !
> http://members.xoom.com/TonyBennett
> sno### [at] usanet

I see one big problem with a bound book version. Someone will
have to have ownership and authorship responsibility. With
this will go the costs of initial publishing and distribution.
If you get a commercial publisher to handle the printing and
distribution they are going to want to know what kind of market
there is for the product. They don't do it out of the kindness
of their hearts.  There may be a lot of Pov users but I doubt
there are enough willing to by the book to justify the printing
run.
  The only sensible method of distribution is via the net through
ftp and webpage downloads.

--
Ken Tyler

tyl### [at] pacbellnet