POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to speed up rendering? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:13:24 EDT (-0400)
  How to speed up rendering? (Message 21 to 30 of 38)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 8 Messages >>>
From: Bob Hughes
Subject: Re: How to speed up rendering?
Date: 18 Jan 1999 16:10:37
Message: <36A3A337.FFB8DA03@aol.com>
I've put a permanent 256 Megabyte swap file on drive D: and it does
pretty good.
Reason for choosing 256 MB in my case is because of large POV memory
needed by a couple of memory-hog scenes. 128MB would be potentially too
small, so I didn't want to risk that and 256MB is plenty of room to
spare so no worries in the future. If you have the MS System Monitor
handy, run it with all the memory options chosen and take a look at what
your maximums are. They will no doubt be more than you expect if you
haven't checked into it before. The Windows swapfile is not much of a
gauge of memory used, seems to me.
So, if you have a second physical drive, scandisk and defrag it good, go
into Windows Virtual Memory and manually configure it.
I've not seen disk thrashing as much as I used to before I did this.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
=Bob

Post a reply to this message

Ok, I added a question about this to the vfaq. It can be found at:
http://www.cs.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html#csgspeed

--
main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
*_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/

Post a reply to this message

>   Ok, I added a question about this to the vfaq. It can be found at:
> http://www.cs.tut.fi/~warp/povVFAQ.html#csgspeed
>
> --
> main(i){char*_="BdsyFBThhHFBThhHFRz]NFTITQF|DJIFHQhhF";while(i=
> *_++)for(;i>1;printf("%s",i-70?i&1?"[]":" ":(i=0,"\n")),i/=2);} /*- Warp. -*/

Post a reply to this message

That's a pretty thorough explanation of CSG and rendering speed.

-Mike