POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Confession of a POV-snob (Humour) Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:21:47 EDT (-0400)
  Confession of a POV-snob (Humour) (Message 12 to 21 of 21)
From: PoD
Subject: Re: Confession of a POV-snob (Humour)
Date: 8 Jan 1999 14:42:32
Message: <36965FA6.5B57@merlin.net.au>
1. Meshes are for wimps.
   Always use mathematically defined surfaces and CSG. In an emergency,
use blobs.

2. Entering numbers such as 3.14159 or  1.4142 is evil.
   Use a mathematical function so you get the full precision of your
numerical processor.

3. Never #declare an object and use it multiple times.
   Use a #macro to create each object so they can all be slightly
different.

P.S. I'm guilty of all of the above, PoD.

Post a reply to this message

>    Always use mathematically defined surfaces and CSG. In an emergency,
> use blobs.
>
> 2. Entering numbers such as 3.14159 or  1.4142 is evil.
>    Use a mathematical function so you get the full precision of your
> numerical processor.
>
> 3. Never #declare an object and use it multiple times.
>    Use a #macro to create each object so they can all be slightly
> different.
>
> P.S. I'm guilty of all of the above, PoD.
If needed, output scene to .inc file to reduce parsing time...
Or write external program for it...

//Spider

Post a reply to this message

From: Matthew Bennett
Date: 8 Jan 1999 19:21:44
Message: <3696a118.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <36942445.F572CAC8@pacbell.net>...
<snip-blurb>
>Color = color not colour. (Ken is ducking and covering)

Grrr... it's colour! Colour! COLOUR! I tell you!

>Pov is pronounced Pov (long "O") not Pav of Poov !

Narr... it's pronounced how it sounds.. like.. err.. "pov" rhyming with "of"
(Please feel free to take this post with a large pinch of IMHOs ;)

Matt

Post a reply to this message

From: Bob Hughes
Date: 8 Jan 1999 19:48:08
Message: <3696A74C.5C45B6D@aol.com>
Matthew Bennett wrote:

> Ken wrote in message <36942445.F572CAC8@pacbell.net>...
> <snip-blurb>
> >Color = color not colour. (Ken is ducking and covering)
>
> Grrr... it's colour! Colour! COLOUR! I tell you!
>
> >Pov is pronounced Pov (long "O") not Pav of Poov !
>
> Narr... it's pronounced how it sounds.. like.. err.. "pov" rhyming with "of"

Hold on now, rhymes with "of"??
That would make it like-- puv... for me anyhow. (rhymes with dove, a
cooing bird similar to pigeons)
Get me out of here, this is the pov snobs thread not the "how many ways
can you pronounce a 3 letter word"! Hhheeeeeeellllllp.

--
 omniVERSE: beyond the universe
=Bob

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)

From: Spider
Date: 8 Jan 1999 22:08:17
Message: <3696C749.E04B5D42@bahnhof.se>
oh, forgot..
Never do anything with a texture that can be done with a nacro that declares a huge
number
of small objects.... or was it the other way around ??? *gah*

//Spider

Post a reply to this message

From: Matthew Bennett
Date: 9 Jan 1999 09:22:36
Message: <3697662c.0@news.povray.org>
Bob Hughes wrote in message <369### [at] aolcom>...
<snip>
>Hold on now, rhymes with "of"??
>That would make it like-- puv... for me anyhow. (rhymes with dove, a
>cooing bird similar to pigeons)
<snip>

For me, I pronounced "pov" not like "puv" (which does indeed rhyme with
dove... ;) but more like.. oh I don't know.. erm.. like the "hov" part of
"hovercraft".. with the emphasis on the "o".

Hehe.. I agree, this thread is getting a bit pointless - my fault ;)

Matt

Post a reply to this message

From: george erhard
Date: 10 Jan 1999 16:19:41
Message: <369919AC.2BD949B2@NOSPAM.pacbell.net>
I am NOT a snob, I'm a POV dilettante!  I only use it to generate
logos and web graphics!

  (Ducking and scuttling to avoid the hail of thrown
mathematically-defined, procedurally-textured objects!]

--
 george erhard
 microsoft certified system engineer

 remove "nospam" from domain when replying

Post a reply to this message

From: Spider
Date: 10 Jan 1999 16:22:26
Message: <3699193B.7B302654@bahnhof.se>
*Throwing an IRTC scene after you..*

From: Raymond Tracing
Date: 10 Jan 1999 16:23:19
Message: <369919D6.AC682179@tracing.org>
george erhard wrote:

>     I am NOT a snob, I'm a POV dilettante!  I only use it to generate
> logos and web graphics!
>
>   (Ducking and scuttling to avoid the hail of thrown
> mathematically-defined, procedurally-textured objects!]
>
> --
>  george erhard
>  microsoft certified system engineer
>  http://home.pacbell.net/dcnblues
>
>  remove "nospam" from domain when replying

  #declare FireBall =
sphere{<0,0,0>, 2000000
  texture{Fire_Ball_Texture scale 2000000}
  translate<in George's direction>
}

object{FireBall}

Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Johnson
Date: 25 Jan 1999 20:47:19
Message: <chrisj-2501992051260001@arc3a111.bf.sover.net>
Hee- here's my snobifications:

   POV is part of your daily RDA of graphics weenery, and to stop there is
ludicrous- the next step is to take the picture into Photoshop and go
after it with a Wacom tablet and burn and dodge tools, get some hands-on
with it.

   Resolution is never enough, which is why procedural multilayered
textures from hell are necessary. Procedural multilayered textures from
hell are never enough either, which is why my landscaping (gradients for
heightfield altitudes, all sorts of terrains, crackle patterns for roads
covering the whole obscenely vast area) is quite interesting but refuses
to look anything like a real terrain ;P

   Real POV-savvy artists can work with even a 33mhz 68040- if you can't
learn to code efficiently, antialias only as much as is visible, then
you're wheelspinning, which is silly- the end goal is always 'more' so
doing everything as efficiently as possible is always important.

   It's an acronym, whether people want to believe it or not, so it's 'pee
oh vee'. So there ;)

   Chris Johnson, who needs to do some dualboot benching of POV to see
where to do the rendering
         @airwindows.com
   chrisj