POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media and Reflections... Server Time
13 Aug 2024 01:22:08 EDT (-0400)
  Media and Reflections... (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Joshua Sullivan
Subject: Media and Reflections...
Date: 24 Dec 1998 13:44:22
Message: <36828C37.9523C28C@cyberdesic.com>
I was fiddling around with media, trying to figure it out (who isn't)
and I ran into an interesting issue. It would seem that all light
passing through a turbulent media are warped. When I had a room with
reflective walls, the reflection of everything on the far side of the
media object (in this case, a fireball) is warped and crazy looking. Is
there any way to introduce turbulence to a media object without messing
up reflections? I know you can see through the media object without
distortion, do the reflection rays follow a different series of
modifiers? This isn't a particularly critical issue to me, mostly a
point of curriosity.

Josh Sullivan

Post a reply to this message

Interesting effect, but I couldn't reproduce this.
I used 2 planes: one checkered, the other reflective; the camera looking at
the reflective plane. When a sphere with turbulent media (spherical mapping)
was added, the reflection of the checkered wall throug this media was not
warped at all. I tried all media types (scattering, emitting and absorbing).
Could you post your source code or give more specific info about your scene
(media settings etc.)?

Margus

Joshua Sullivan wrote:

> I was fiddling around with media, trying to figure it out (who isn't)
> and I ran into an interesting issue. It would seem that all light
> passing through a turbulent media are warped. When I had a room with
> reflective walls, the reflection of everything on the far side of the
> media object (in this case, a fireball) is warped and crazy looking. Is
> there any way to introduce turbulence to a media object without messing
> up reflections? I know you can see through the media object without
> distortion, do the reflection rays follow a different series of
> modifiers? This isn't a particularly critical issue to me, mostly a
> point of curriosity.
>
> Josh Sullivan

Post a reply to this message