POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [Idea] User Documentation Project Server Time
10 Aug 2024 15:24:38 EDT (-0400)
  [Idea] User Documentation Project (Message 1 to 10 of 35)
From: Twyst
Subject: [Idea] User Documentation Project
Date: 23 Dec 1998 17:36:10
Message: <3681705a.0@news.povray.org>
I had a great idea recently...

Do a "User Documentation Project"!

I had the idea while noticing that the Pov-Ray docs, while complete, didn't
go into much detail in certain cases, and there are people that DO know
certain aspects very well. (John VanSickle comes to mind....).

It seems to me that much of the manual could do with expanding on topics
(Media is one example) and tutorials.

So, here's the complete idea:
1. With the pov-team's permission (please, can we?), rewrite the pov-ray
docs.
2. Make it available in a number of formats, from plain text to PDF format.
3. I would ALSO like to be able to publish a spiral bound volume, and sell
it at a minimal cost.
4. I intend for this to be a "group" project. It's a daunting task for a
single person.

Twyst
=====================================
twysted mynd - for pov-ray news, reviews, and tutorials
http://twysted.net
e-mail: twy### [at] twystednet
=====================================

Post a reply to this message

I think it would be a great idea. Instead of sitting at the beach with 400+
pages of printed paper on a clipboard, i could have a cool bound book to
read while my kids are playing in the sand.

Twyst wrote in message <3681705a.0@news.povray.org>...
>I had a great idea recently...
>
>Do a "User Documentation Project"!
>
>I had the idea while noticing that the Pov-Ray docs, while complete, didn't
>go into much detail in certain cases, and there are people that DO know
>certain aspects very well. (John VanSickle comes to mind....).
>
>It seems to me that much of the manual could do with expanding on topics
>(Media is one example) and tutorials.
>
>So, here's the complete idea:
>1. With the pov-team's permission (please, can we?), rewrite the pov-ray
>docs.
>2. Make it available in a number of formats, from plain text to PDF format.
>3. I would ALSO like to be able to publish a spiral bound volume, and sell
>it at a minimal cost.
>4. I intend for this to be a "group" project. It's a daunting task for a
>single person.
>

>Twyst
>=====================================
>twysted mynd - for pov-ray news, reviews, and tutorials
>http://twysted.net
>e-mail: twy### [at] twystednet
>=====================================

Post a reply to this message

Seeing as I have recently been spending all my time experimenting with
features to figure them out, I would be happy to help write a "Practical
Guide to POVRay" or some such... (as opposed to theoretical)
(Especially since I am on break ATM...)  Anyhow, let me know if you do
get enough support...

Steve

Twyst wrote:

> I had a great idea recently...
>
> Do a "User Documentation Project"!
>
> I had the idea while noticing that the Pov-Ray docs, while complete, didn't
> go into much detail in certain cases, and there are people that DO know
> certain aspects very well. (John VanSickle comes to mind....).
>
> It seems to me that much of the manual could do with expanding on topics
> (Media is one example) and tutorials.
>
> So, here's the complete idea:
> 1. With the pov-team's permission (please, can we?), rewrite the pov-ray
> docs.
> 2. Make it available in a number of formats, from plain text to PDF format.
> 3. I would ALSO like to be able to publish a spiral bound volume, and sell
> it at a minimal cost.
> 4. I intend for this to be a "group" project. It's a daunting task for a
> single person.
>
> Twyst
> twysted mynd - for pov-ray news, reviews, and tutorials
> http://twysted.net
> e-mail: twy### [at] twystednet

Post a reply to this message