POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : [Idea] User Documentation Project : Re: [Idea] User Documentation Project Server Time
10 Aug 2024 17:28:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: [Idea] User Documentation Project
From: Twyst
Date: 25 Dec 1998 18:37:13
Message: <368421a9.0@news.povray.org>
Mark Radosevich wrote in message <3682FCEC.FC49E97D@randolph.spa.edu>...
>Do we need to rewrite the whole thing? Or would it be alright to create a
supplement?
>--just asking... I suppose if the intent is to give new users more
assistance
>with certain aspects of POV-Ray, rewriting the thing and keeping it with
the
>official binaries would be good, but it would still be easier to just
gather
>additions to the current manual. ...wouldn't it?
>
>-Mark R.

Well, it depends.
Some cases, the manual is very good..
(look at chapter 4)
In others, it's very sparse (Vectors, media, etc,etc)
Also, does anyone here actually use/understand the graphs they give (like
for the scattering types) -- Yes, it can be useful, but without a detailed
explanation ( in layman's terms, not mathematical) It's pretty useless to
me. I usually just skip right over them.
Renderings SHOWING the effects of the different settings would be far more
useful, imho.

It's also to avoid infringing on copyrights (as of this moment.. I haven't
heard "yes" or "no" about using the pov-ray documentation as a base)

Twyst