POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : conic sweep prism bug? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 05:45:38 EDT (-0400)
  conic sweep prism bug? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Dan Connelly
Subject: conic sweep prism bug?
Date: 7 Nov 1998 21:21:28
Message: <36450023.5AD15167@flash.net>
I am having difficulty with the linear spline prism
with a conic sweep.  But before I issue a bug report,
I would appreciate it if someone could give this
test script a quick run to make sure I'm not doing
something stupid.....

This is supposed to be a closed truncated pyramid,
but instead I get an open truncated pyramid and a misplaced
face.  But please, check for yourself.

I am running 3.1r1 W95..... but I suspect this is a
core renderer problem (platform independent).

Dan

#declare V0 = <0, -3, 0>;
#declare V1 = V0 + <-5, 9, -8>;

camera {
  location V1
  look_at V0
}

light_source {
  V1
  color rgb 0.5
}
light_source {
  V1 * <-1, 1, 1>
  color rgb 0.5
}

prism {
  linear_spline
  conic_sweep
  -4, -2,
  4,
  <1, 1>, <-1, 1>, <-1, -1>, <1, -1>
  //open
  pigment { color rgb 1 }
  finish { diffuse 0.5 ambient 0.5 }
}

---
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/

Post a reply to this message

> I am having difficulty with the linear spline prism
> with a conic sweep.  But before I issue a bug report,
> I would appreciate it if someone could give this
> test script a quick run to make sure I'm not doing
> something stupid.....
>
> This is supposed to be a closed truncated pyramid,
> but instead I get an open truncated pyramid and a misplaced
> face.  But please, check for yourself.
>
> I am running 3.1r1 W95..... but I suspect this is a
> core renderer problem (platform independent).
>
> Dan

> #declare V0 = <0, -3, 0>;
> #declare V1 = V0 + <-5, 9, -8>;
>
> camera {  location V1  look_at V0}
>
> light_source {  V1  color rgb 0.5}
> light_source {  V1 * <-1, 1, 1>  color rgb 0.5}
>
> prism {  linear_spline  conic_sweep
>   -4, -2,  4,
>   <1, 1>, <-1, 1>, <-1, -1>, <1, -1>
>   //open
>   pigment { color rgb 1 }  finish { diffuse 0.5 ambient 0.5 }}
>
> ---
> http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/

  I can verify your problem but cannot explain it. If you change

prism {  linear_spline  conic_sweep
  -4, -2,  4,

prism {  linear_spline  conic_sweep
  -4, -1,  4,

it begins to appear as you want it to but the height
of the opening is higher and smaller  than you seem
to want.

The amount greater than -1 you use the more prevelent
the defect.

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

>   I can verify your problem but cannot explain it. If you change
>
> prism {  linear_spline  conic_sweep
>   -4, -2,  4,

> prism {  linear_spline  conic_sweep
>   -4, -1,  4,
>
> it begins to appear as you want it to but the height
> of the opening is higher and smaller  than you seem
> to want.
>
> The amount greater than -1 you use the more prevelent
> the defect.

Ken :

Thanks for the quick help!!!  Yes -- it appears
there is in fact a bug.

I checked it so far on 3.1, 3.1 SuperPatch, and 3.02 TMPOV,
all of which yield identical results....

I will thus report it to bugreports, and use polygons instead
to achieve the shape I want.

Dan

--
http://www.flash.net/~djconnel/