POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : hf_at? Server Time
13 Aug 2024 09:26:26 EDT (-0400)
  hf_at? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: hf_at?
Date: 9 Oct 1998 16:27:04
Message: <361E6436.AEE59B2F@aol.com>
Where have I seen a variable or POV-Ray function that gives the height
of a height field at a given set of  x, z  coordinates?

If this were a new feature of POV 3.1, it would be the last straw, and
I'd have to download it.  But I didn't see it in any list of new
features, and it's not on my 3.02 documentation.  Did I hear about this
in one of the specialty versions of POV, or is it my imagination?

_______________
Greg M. Johnson

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'us-ascii' (1 KB)

> Where have I seen a variable or POV-Ray function that gives the height
> of a height field at a given set of  x, z  coordinates?
>
> If this were a new feature of POV 3.1, it would be the last straw, and
> I'd have to download it.  But I didn't see it in any list of new
> features, and it's not on my 3.02 documentation.  Did I hear about
> this in one of the specialty versions of POV, or is it my imagination?

That would be the hf_height_at function in Tmpov.  Tmpov is a custom
compile of Pov 3.02 for Win95 that includes many useful things, such as
sphere sweeps and arrays.  It is available at http://twysted.net in the
PatchStation.  Incidentally, I have an include file that uses
hf_height_at to wrap height fields around cylinders.  I am working on
making it 3.1 compatible and able to wrap other objects, but it isn't
done yet.  Unfortunately, no web page at the moment.  Email if you want
it.

Jerry Anning
cle### [at] dholcom

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 09 Oct 1998 17:50:18 -0400, Jerry Anning <cle### [at] dholcom>
wrote:

>Greg M. Johnson wrote:
>>
>> Where have I seen a variable or POV-Ray function that gives the height
>> of a height field at a given set of  x, z  coordinates?
>>
>> If this were a new feature of POV 3.1, it would be the last straw, and
>> I'd have to download it.  But I didn't see it in any list of new
>> features, and it's not on my 3.02 documentation.  Did I hear about
>> this in one of the specialty versions of POV, or is it my imagination?
>
>That would be the hf_height_at function in Tmpov.  Tmpov is a custom
>compile of Pov 3.02 for Win95 that includes many useful things, such as
>sphere sweeps and arrays.  It is available at http://twysted.net in the
>PatchStation.  Incidentally, I have an include file that uses
>hf_height_at to wrap height fields around cylinders.  I am working on
>making it 3.1 compatible and able to wrap other objects, but it isn't
>done yet.  Unfortunately, no web page at the moment.  Email if you want
>it.

There's a similar function, trace(), in my soon-to-be-released
"superpatch" for POV 3.1.  Trace is different from hf_height_at in
that it will trace rays and find the first intersection with _any_
object, not just a height_field.  This patch also includes all of
the features of 3.1, plus sphere_sweeps, isosurfaces, textures based
on mathematical functions, ability to use procedural textures wherever
an image works, new cellular textures, splines, rational bezier
patches, UV mapping, variable and blurry reflectance, Dan Connelly's
#system patch, and my object bounds patch.

The first round of testing on the superpatch, which compiled without
errors for the first time tonight, has resulted in a fairly stable
build; I'll be sending copies to my beta testers as soon as I run some
more test scenes past it, probably sometime this weekend.  If you have
a scene that uses any of the above patches, or if you have a need for
one of the above patches, and would like to participate in the beta
test, please send me email.

Post a reply to this message

> There's a similar function, trace(), in my soon-to-be-released
> "superpatch" for POV 3.1.  Trace is different from hf_height_at in
> that it will trace rays and find the first intersection with _any_
> object, not just a height_field.  This patch also includes all of
> the features of 3.1, plus sphere_sweeps, isosurfaces, textures based
> on mathematical functions, ability to use procedural textures wherever
> an image works, new cellular textures, splines, rational bezier
> patches, UV mapping, variable and blurry reflectance, Dan Connelly's
> #system patch, and my object bounds patch.
>
> The first round of testing on the superpatch, which compiled without
> errors for the first time tonight, has resulted in a fairly stable
> build; I'll be sending copies to my beta testers as soon as I run some
> more test scenes past it, probably sometime this weekend.  If you have
> a scene that uses any of the above patches, or if you have a need for
> one of the above patches, and would like to participate in the beta
> test, please send me email.

Whoooow, sounds great indeed. Will there be a compiled version for
Windows 95 in further future too??? That would be gigantic!!!

ReVerSi

Post a reply to this message

> Where have I seen a variable or POV-Ray function that gives the height of
> a height field at a given set of  x, z  coordinates?

Near the top of the List of Things We'd Like to See in POV.

Regards,
John
--
"He has the power to rear-project major cities!" -- Mike Nelson