POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : CSG Texturing Server Time
13 Aug 2024 13:13:02 EDT (-0400)
  CSG Texturing (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Peter Popov
Subject: CSG Texturing
Date: 6 Sep 1998 18:22:02
Message: <35f2fcfa.0@news.povray.org>
I having the following problem: I have a very nice hand-coded CSG keyboard.
I want to make a cross-section of it by intersecting it with a plane. The
keys are gray and the body is white (roughly) and I want to see that in the
cross-section. However, either the cutting plane gets black (if I don't
apply texture to the intersection ) or it gets a solid color (if I *do*
apply texture to the intersection). Is there a way to do this without
separately intersecting each key with the cutting plane and them union them?

Peter

Post a reply to this message

I never have POV handy when I'm reading these groups, but I think clipped_by is
what will do what you want.  I recall having this problem...ugh, just wish if I
can remember is that one worked.

If that doesn't work, you could always create a union of the keys and a union of
the keyboard, then do a simple:

union {
object {keyboard clipped_by { plane { } } }
object {keys clipped_by { plane { ) } } }
}

If the planes are cutting the wrong side just use the inverse keyword.

-Mike

Peter Popov wrote:

> I having the following problem: I have a very nice hand-coded CSG keyboard.
> I want to make a cross-section of it by intersecting it with a plane. The
> keys are gray and the body is white (roughly) and I want to see that in the
> cross-section. However, either the cutting plane gets black (if I don't
> apply texture to the intersection ) or it gets a solid color (if I *do*
> apply texture to the intersection). Is there a way to do this without
> separately intersecting each key with the cutting plane and them union them?
>
> Peter

Post a reply to this message

>I never have POV handy when I'm reading these groups, but I think
clipped_by is
>what will do what you want.  I recall having this problem...ugh, just wish
if I
>can remember is that one worked.
>
>If that doesn't work, you could always create a union of the keys and a
union of
>the keyboard, then do a simple:
>
>union {
>object {keyboard clipped_by { plane { } } }
>object {keys clipped_by { plane { ) } } }
>}
>
>If the planes are cutting the wrong side just use the inverse keyword.
>
>-Mike

Uh, clipped_by leaves a hole in the object and makes the wall infinitely
thin... since the cutting plane is normal to the viewing rays (orthographic
projection) I won't see a thing. I hoped bounded_by would work, by using it
"improperly" so the results are unpredictable, but it didn't. I'll go the
hard way (it works).

Peter

Post a reply to this message

> >I never have POV handy when I'm reading these groups, but I think
> clipped_by is
> >what will do what you want.  I recall having this problem...ugh, just wish
> if I
> >can remember is that one worked.
> >
> >If that doesn't work, you could always create a union of the keys and a
> union of
> >the keyboard, then do a simple:
> >
> >union {
> >object {keyboard clipped_by { plane { } } }
> >object {keys clipped_by { plane { ) } } }
> >}
> >
> >If the planes are cutting the wrong side just use the inverse keyword.
> >
> >-Mike
>
> Uh, clipped_by leaves a hole in the object and makes the wall infinitely
> thin... since the cutting plane is normal to the viewing rays (orthographic
> projection) I won't see a thing. I hoped bounded_by would work, by using it
> "improperly" so the results are unpredictable, but it didn't. I'll go the
> hard way (it works).
>
> Peter

I vote for something like (in pseudo-POV-Ray code):

 union of {
     intersection { WhiteKeys and plane }
     intersection { BlackKeys and plane }
     }

provided that it's easy to separate the two different sets of keys out
from what he already has.

-jr-
* Delete "spamBgone." to get my real address *